Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 820 CATV, and CAT5e

Wall and floor pentration codes

For code references start with IECC R401.2 , some additonal code explanation in plain english can be found at US Department of energy Air leakage guide, in addition there are also thermal barrier and blower door testing requirements not to mention fire caulk requirements. Some of these can be found in IBC, IRC ,iECC for both existing and new construction.In commercial , the fact that fire barriers are all over the place , adds further complication.

The OP was asking about the NEC, specifically Art 820. We have no idea what kind project he has in mind (if any). Residential, commercial, old construction or new construction, we don't know. My answers were based on the NEC and my experience in general relating to his questions and my take on his technical abilities. While, as you note there are other codes that may apply, without knowing the scope of work and the specs you can't make assumptions that certain things are required. Otherwise a simple cable, sat or phone install could cost thousands.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    The OP was asking about the NEC, specifically Art 820. We have no idea what kind project he has in mind (if any). Residential, commercial, old construction or new construction, we don't know. My answers were based on the NEC and my experience in general relating to his questions and my take on his technical abilities. While, as you note there are other codes that may apply, without knowing the scope of work and the specs you can't make assumptions that certain things are required. Otherwise a simple cable, sat or phone install could cost thousands.

-Hal
    I know that both Direct & Dish use a ground bonding UL type adapter to ground the shield of the cable to a water pipe.
    I also know that cable companies, Infinity also have a wire from their facility mounted box to a water pipe or ground rod (8ft).
    The phone company also has a dedicated ground, 8ft, located where the wire junction box is on the house.
    There is a known fact that static will bill up in an external environment, possible due to lightning. This static will couple to the shield
    and can transfer through the foam to the center conductor. Reference; Mike Holt Guide to Limited Energy & Communications Systems Articles 725 - 820.

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    I know that both Direct & Dish use a ground bonding UL type adapter to ground the shield of the cable to a water pipe.
    I also know that cable companies, Infinity also have a wire from their facility mounted box to a water pipe or ground rod (8ft).
    The phone company also has a dedicated ground, 8ft, located where the wire junction box is on the house.
    It's important to understand that in any and all of those cases you mention, the ground MUST be bonded to the electrical service ground. You CANNOT just drive a ground rod! Connecting to a water pipe invites problems also. Just because the phone or the cable company does something doesn't mean that it is correct, safe or code compliant. It is poor practice to learn by looking at what they do!

There is a known fact that static will bill up in an external environment, possible due to lightning. This static will couple to the shield
    and can transfer through the foam to the center conductor. Reference; Mike Holt Guide to Limited Energy & Communications Systems Articles 725 - 820.
    That's why the shield has to be bonded to the service entrance ground where it enters the premises.

-Hal

-Hal
    I personally observed both ATT and Direct and how they ground their systems. So I beg to differ that they did not ground to an electrical system. ATT drove an 8ft rod in the ground next to the box when they install DSL. Direct attached a bare wire from the ground block to the water pipe facet coming from the cement wall located with 2 - 3ft. And infinity attached the ground wire from their box, with a label indicating not to remove, so a water pipe with a 4- 6ft wire. So connecting directly to the electrical of the facility was absent. In the old day, the electrical from the service of the power company was boned in the attic to the cold water pipe. Now, there are (2) ground rods driven in the ground 8FT located next to the service of the facility. This is for residential and as I know is for Florida.

Ok, you came here looking for advice. If you don't want to listen to what we have to say there is nothing more to be said.

-Hal

Ok, you came here looking for advice. If you don't want to listen to what we have to say there is nothing more to be said.

-Hal
    Fair statement. I will find the documents, and reason from Direct TV as most installers are independent contractors and
    are required to follow a set of specific written procedures. As for ATT, if really easy, I know people so I will see what they specify
    for there installations. Especially when they are adding to an existing account with new product. So will report what is revealed.

I personally observed both ATT and Direct and how they ground their systems. So I beg to differ that they did not ground to an electrical system. ATT drove an 8ft rod in the ground next to the box when they install DSL. Direct attached a bare wire from the ground block to the water pipe facet coming from the cement wall located with 2 - 3ft. And infinity attached the ground wire from their box, with a label indicating not to remove, so a water pipe with a 4- 6ft wire. So connecting directly to the electrical of the facility was absent. In the old day, the electrical from the service of the power company was boned in the attic to the cold water pipe. Now, there are (2) ground rods driven in the ground 8FT located next to the service of the facility. This is for residential and as I know is for Florida.
    Note please that connecting to a dedicated ground rod is NOT grounding to the electrical system. There is no metallic fault path to the POCO transformer secondary.
    And connecting to a water pipe I'd only indirectly connecting to the building GES and relies on the assumption that the GES is bonded to water pipe and metallic pipe connection is maintained in the future.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Note please that connecting to a dedicated ground rod is NOT grounding to the electrical system. There is no metallic fault path to the POCO transformer secondary.
    And connecting to a water pipe I'd only indirectly connecting to the building GES and relies on the assumption that the GES is bonded to water pipe and metallic pipe connection is maintained in the future.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    So I Agree with your statement. However this practice that is done by both Direct, Dish, and ATT I have personally witness as
    it was being done. So this is their practice; true there is no path to the POCO transformer. Again I will do some additional research
    this week and perhaps a more definitive statement. So far everything I have asked in this forum has been addressed except for the height of the cable entering the building, as in the case of Direct or Dish or ATT, or a cable provider.

What is your interest or role in any of this?

-Hal