Splicing romex behind drywall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleman

I haven't done much residential work, most of my experience is industrial. Conduit, tray, controls etc. I was doing some plumbing work at home which is always a fun time. I thought I had this romex run pulled back but as I was sweating pipe it moved back, melted and shorted. So now I need to splice it. Can I hang one of those plastic boxes or a metal box behind the drywall to make the splice in? Just wondering if there is an issue with doing this because making a splice in a box would mean I don't have to replace the runs.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I haven't done much residential work, most of my experience is industrial. Conduit, tray, controls etc. I was doing some plumbing work at home which is always a fun time. I thought I had this romex run pulled back but as I was sweating pipe it moved back, melted and shorted. So now I need to splice it. Can I hang one of those plastic boxes or a metal box behind the drywall to make the splice in? Just wondering if there is an issue with doing this because making a splice in a box would mean I don't have to replace the runs.
You can put a blank faced device box in the wall at that point.
The splices not only have to be in a box, they have to be accessible without cutting into the drywall when you need access.

PetrosA

The "mobile home splicer" might be an option, but only if the original wiring is 1993 or later. It won't work with fat old romex or with any that has a reduced ground wire. Best option is to splice in a wall case and blank it off (leaving it accessible).

John120/240

Utilize the mishap to give the wife a new receptacle. Pull enough wire back to cut in an old work box, then fish wire to the first box. As stated earlier avoid like the plague those Mobile Home splice things.

Aleman

Utilize the mishap to give the wife a new receptacle. Pull enough wire back to cut in an old work box, then fish wire to the first box. As stated earlier avoid like the plague those Mobile Home splice things.

That's what I'll do is add an outlet. It's in a useless spot behind the kitchen table but what the hell.
Only other option is to pull in a new run and that's assuming I can pull through the old romex. I haven't pulled romex but it's worth a try.

Tony S

I couldn?t figure out what was meant by mobile home splice so I had a look. I wish I hadn?t, they look lethal.

That's what I'll do is add an outlet. It's in a useless spot behind the kitchen table but what the hell.
Only other option is to pull in a new run and that's assuming I can pull through the old romex. I haven't pulled romex but it's worth a try.

BTW the position of this new outlet may seem inconvenient to you. If I put an outlet on the roof the wife would find something to connect in to it.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Allows use of buried "mobile home" splices and connectors -- uggh!

My thoughts exactly.

.... As stated earlier avoid like the plague those Mobile Home splice things.

I couldn?t figure out what was meant by mobile home splice so I had a look. I wish I hadn?t, they look lethal. ...
A couple of curiousity questions:
Does anyone have any evidence that the '"mobile home" splices and connectors' have a higher failure rate than other residential wiring methods?

Are the devices listed/labeled? If so, what say the listing/labeling about the conditions of use?

I've got no dog in the hunt. I've never seen one. What I am hearing are the same conversations that occured when:
wagos came out
MV guys and cold shrink
Plastic boxes
And I think I remember following my dad around in the mid 50s and hearing the same about Romex and wire nuts - Western Electric splice is so much better​

So, other than: "I don't like the way they look." What are the issues?

Side note: I'll bet a cup of yuppie coffee (paid at the location of my choice) that in 10 years they will be considered no different than wagos.

the worm

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Not having a 2014 NEC. If these are called mobile home spices are they legit in a regular dwelling?

mwm1752

Adding a recept - AFCI requirements, tamperproof, come to mind -- I believe the splice kits are also for remodels in which the circumstances make it unreasonable to j box the wire -- just might fit the bill on this one

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Not having a 2014 NEC. If these are called mobile home spices are they legit in a regular dwelling?
Not sure where the SLANG is coming from...Probably the same place the term "Romex" came from....either way they are not called mobile home splices....and their is no evidence that these " nonmetallic-sheathed cable interconnector devices" are not reliable when installed properly.

They are listed ..check out Section 334.40(B)....

Actually got to play with a few of them when I was the NEMA Rep and when done correctly......they were fine and I would not sweat installing one if I had to. In fact, in a flood condition where you have to replace the lower portion of the wiring and the upper switches to ceiling wiring was fine....these are quite handy....you can agree to disagree but then i would ask...have you EVER really seen one....probably not if you are calling them mobile home splices.

under8ed

iceworm,
It's likely been years since anyone has heard that old term, but I think you meant the "Western Union Splice"..
Or maybe just checking to see if anyone is paying attention, or if you're the oldest fellow in the room...

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
iceworm,
It's likely been years since anyone has heard that old term, but I think you meant the "Western Union Splice"..
Or maybe just checking to see if anyone is paying attention, or if you're the oldest fellow in the room...

Probably did, but nope - just asleep :sleep: Old age likely - I would have been about 10 in the mid 50's. I remember seeing the boxes of tubes on the counters, but I never put one in. As for the splice - I don't even like soldered lugs - too unreliable (well, except on solid wire components). Mil-spec lugs, Mil-spec crimpers - far superior.

Mostly pointing out that the comments about "death trap devices" is pretty similar to that said about most of the stuff in common use now. If these devices are bad - there must be some evidence out there. Not condeming - just saying.

the worm

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Connections seem similiar to mobile home receptacles/switches, the cover pushes on the wire into sharp metal. I've found some bad ones, also many bad mobile home receptacles/switches.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
A couple of curiousity questions:
Does anyone have any evidence that the '"mobile home" splices and connectors' have a higher failure rate than other residential wiring methods?

Are the devices listed/labeled? If so, what say the listing/labeling about the conditions of use?

I've got no dog in the hunt. I've never seen one. What I am hearing are the same conversations that occured when:
wagos came out
MV guys and cold shrink
Plastic boxes
And I think I remember following my dad around in the mid 50s and hearing the same about Romex and wire nuts - Western Electric splice is so much better​

So, other than: "I don't like the way they look." What are the issues?

Side note: I'll bet a cup of yuppie coffee (paid at the location of my choice) that in 10 years they will be considered no different than wagos.

the worm
FWIW there are a lot of doublewide manufactured homes where I live...... I have yet to go on a trouble call and find one that needs replaced.

Tony S

By preference I would through crimp and sleeve with an adhesive lined heat shrink.
We used this method for torpedo borehole pumps where the splice would be under 50Ft of water.

The pumps failed, the splice didn?t.

The annoying thing, a new pump would be ordered complete with the required length of cable. When a pump failed it would be sent for repair and come back minus 200Ft of cable, hence having to splice them.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
By preference I would through crimp and sleeve with an adhesive lined heat shrink.
We used this method for torpedo borehole pumps where the splice would be under 50Ft of water.

The pumps failed, the splice didn?t.

The annoying thing, a new pump would be ordered complete with the required length of cable. When a pump failed it would be sent for repair and come back minus 200Ft of cable, hence having to splice them.
Who wants to drag around 200ft of cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.