Service rated ATS with standby gen in residence

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
I have installed a 200 amp ATS & a 22KW LP standby gen in a residence with an existing 200 amp main breaker panel.
After I separated the grounds & neutrals in the existing main breaker panel, I landed a 6 awg green from the ground bus of the panel to the ground bus of the ATS.
Inspector says I must extend the GEC from the ground rods directly to the bus in the ATS. Is that described in the code?
I have the crimps and crimper to do that, but can someone tell me where in the code it describes this?
I am assuming that the GEC and the ungrounded conductor of the service should be tied together as close as possible. Jumpering the ground bus in the old panel to ground bus in the ATS isn't good enough. But where does the code describe this?

Thank you.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The NEC states that the GEC must be terminated at (or adjacent to) the service equipment. In your case the ATS is now the service disconnect, so the GEC connection must be moved from what is now a sub panel to that point.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
The NEC states that the GEC must be terminated at (or adjacent to) the service equipment. In your case the ATS is now the service disconnect, so the GEC connection must be moved from what is now a sub panel to that point.

Can you give me a code reference? I am looking through 250 but I don't see where it states it must be a continuous run from the ground rods to the service dsco.

Thank you.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
250.24(A)(1)

The grounding electrode conductor connection shall be made at any accessible point from the load end

of the overhead service conductors, service drop, underground service conductors, or service lateral to and including the terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the servicedisconnecting means

250.64(C) as to splicing vs continuous.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
250.24(A)(1)

The grounding electrode conductor connection shall be made at any accessible point from the load end

of the overhead service conductors, service drop, underground service conductors, or service lateral to and including the terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the servicedisconnecting means

250.64(C) as to splicing vs continuous.
Thank you Augie!
250.64(C) makes it pretty clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.