Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Voltage Exam Washington County Maryland - Failing

Quote Originally Posted by tom baker View Post
    This is 06 Limited Energy?
    09 is Telecom but telecom electricians are not certified
    Do you have the PSI exam candidate document? It tells you how many questions from the appropriate articles. Its available at L&I electrical website or from PSI
    Have you looked at the scope of work in 296-46B section 920? You are tested on what you are allowed to do, not what you typically did as a trainee.
    Keep in mind 06 includes fire alarm...but maybe you knew that.
    Mike Holt has a low voltage text, get that and study 100-200 questions per week.

I was looking for something with questions that I could practice with, navigating the book. I have figured out how the book is broken down with articles, how they separate fire, communications, television etc., They typically start from the front and move to the back. I am feeling more confident now with this exam as I am in a sense, shrinking the book down. Its not as intimidating. I will look for that text. Last I looked and even called, I could not find anything like that. The lady suggested I get the index book too which Ive ordered.

I appreciate the constructive response, for awhile I was getting discouraged from the responses here.

OK disregard what I told you I saw Washington and its a different Washington!
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

Quote Originally Posted by Grapestew View Post
    Im a network engineer and all we want to do is pull cat5/6e cable.
    That's a job for a labourer or, at best, a technician. Not an engineer.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    He maybe isn't a PE but rather does a lot of design/build. Could have some limitations on what and where he can do the design portion.

In the IT world you can become an "engineer" by passing the Microsoft MCSE exam.

http://www.oocities.org/pipeline/5665/watsene.htm

There was a lot of controversy at one time about the IT industry calling someone an "engineer" who did not have at least a four year engineering degree from a reputable institution. I don't think it's legal to use "engineer" on any published documents like advertising, business cards, etc if you haven't got that diploma.

Sorry Grapestew.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    In the IT world you can become an "engineer" by passing the Microsoft MCSE exam.

http://www.oocities.org/pipeline/5665/watsene.htm

There was a lot of controversy at one time about the IT industry calling someone an "engineer" who did not have at least a four year engineering degree from a reputable institution. I don't think it's legal to use "engineer" on any published documents like advertising, business cards, etc if you haven't got that diploma.

Sorry Grapestew.

-Hal
    Don't know that is entirely true, a couple definitions under engineer from dictionary.com:

2. a person who operates or is in charge of an engine.

3. Also called locomotive engineer. Railroads. a person who operates or is in charge of a locomotive.

related to this thread topic:

5. Digital Technology. a person skilled in the design and programming of computer systems: a software engineer;
    a web engineer.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/879964/posts

...there is a belief that the computer companies are in a better position to win contracts if they can say they have 150 engineers on staff instead of 150 programmers... The Texas Engineering Practice Act ... does not allow an in-house employee of a private corporation, though classified internally as an `engineer' or under another engineering title, to use the title `engineer' on business cards, cover letters or other forms of correspondence that are made available to the public... They risk fines of up to $3,000 a day for handing out business cards to a supplier or even dropping it in a fish bowl at a restaurant for a chance at a free lunch.
    https://www.nspe.org/resources/blogs...engineer-title

Microsoft was also challenged for misusing “engineer.” In 2001, the Canadian Council of Professional Engineers (now Engineers Canada), announced that Microsoft had agreed to stop using the term in its certification programs.
    -Hal

Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    I just need to pull the permits when we get the jobs. Oversee our cabling dept.

Designing networks is a form of engineering. Yes, engineer in the IT field is LOOSELY thrown around.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Don't know that is entirely true, a couple definitions under engineer from dictionary.com:

2. a person who operates or is in charge of an engine.

3. Also called locomotive engineer. Railroads. a person who operates or is in charge of a locomotive.

related to this thread topic:

5. Digital Technology. a person skilled in the design and programming of computer systems: a software engineer;
    a web engineer.
    I think Hal just feels threatened? An ego thing going on here? I'm not sure what he's trying to prove. Maybe he's mad we get paid 6 figures to engineer networks with just certifications? If we were that common we'd be worth 40k in the market. Fill us in Ole Hal!