Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Voltage Exam Washington County Maryland - Failing

Low Voltage Exam Washington County Maryland - Failing

Any suggestions on prepping for the low voltage exam?

Ive failed it 4 times already. I can not utilize the Index in time.. Is there any tricks to finding key words in questions to look up?

I take it again Dec 8th and feel no more confident than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapestew View Post
    Any suggestions on prepping for the low voltage exam?

Ive failed it 4 times already. I take it again Dec 8th and feel no more confident than before.
    I'm assuming you already have a test prep book and have read it.

First, cancel your test appointment.

Second, do practice questions without timing until you are getting almost all of them correct.

Then, do timed practice tests until you can score a 90% or better.

If you never get there, check out being a plumber.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapestew View Post
    Is there any tricks to finding key words in questions to look up?
    The key words are the most important words in the problem. Identifying those is a skill I don't know how to teach.
    Last edited by Coppersmith; 11-15-17 at 05:12 PM.

Test prep book

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    I'm assuming you already have a test prep book and have read it.

First, cancel your test appointment.

Second, do practice questions without timing until you are getting almost all of them correct.

Then, do timed practice tests until you can score a 90% or better.

The key words are the most important words in the problem. Identifying those is a skill I don't know how to teach.

Which Prep book do you recommend for low voltage?

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post

Im a network engineer and all we want to do is pull cat5/6e cable. Im surprised they require all this. Very little is beneficial to me and useless information ill never use. Ive taken multiple exams for certifications, and this code book exam is a pain in the rear. Glad I didn't become an electrician!

There is a big difference between the IT world and the real world. I see it every time I look at an IT persons work who "only wants to run some CAT5 or CAT6". Hopefully by the time you pass this test you won't be one of them.

-Hal

What topics are you having trouble with?

I agree with others that many IT guys I have come across know how to make final connections and do the software type tasks really well, but have no clue how to run wiring through a building.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    What topics are you having trouble with?

I agree with others that many IT guys I have come across know how to make final connections and do the software type tasks really well, but have no clue how to run wiring through a building.
    I understand completely, I crossed over into IT and had the very same impression of them. A LOT are like that, although you shouldn't paint with such a wide brush. I went to school for electronics engineering and worked security for 12 years. We pulled every kind of cable you can think of for low voltage systems like fire/security alarms, access control, CCTV, Nurse call systems ,. I've performed Ariel runs, poll to poll, underground, from 18/2, 22/4, 22/8. RJ6-59/ etc,. Im no stranger to pulling the cabling. That said, I always worked under the company's licenses. I never once failed an inspection either, I know whats expected, I just need to speed up my navigating of the book.

My main issue is locating code efficiently to beat the timer. It's hard finding the code for me. I know OHM's law and how to calculate formulas . I have just wasted money already and want to get the right study material so I can pull a freaking license when we land cabling jobs.

Fair enough. What study materials do they recommend? From what you just said this shouldn't be so hard for you.

-Hal

This is 06 Limited Energy?
    09 is Telecom but telecom electricians are not certified
    Do you have the PSI exam candidate document? It tells you how many questions from the appropriate articles. Its available at L&I electrical website or from PSI
    Have you looked at the scope of work in 296-46B section 920? You are tested on what you are allowed to do, not what you typically did as a trainee.
    Keep in mind 06 includes fire alarm...but maybe you knew that.
    Mike Holt has a low voltage text, get that and study 100-200 questions per week.
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Fair enough. What study materials do they recommend? From what you just said this shouldn't be so hard for you.

-Hal

They directed to the Mike Holt website. Other than that nothing specific.