garage wiring from mobile home service....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wistrick

I just put a new 48 x 26.7 mobile home on my property and am building a 24 x 24 garage on the front that will cover 10 ft of it...I already have a 200 amp meter main with feed thru lugs powering the house...My plan is to use a 100 amp breaker in the meter main to feed the garage...Question would this be consider 2 feeders to one building..???? All the other mobile home in my are wired like this except the meter is on the garage not the house

Also my contractor did not leave me a ufer at the garage and I attach to the same ufer as the house 16 ft away?????

thanks

Dan

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'm having a bit of a time visualizing.
If the garage is detached then you have one feeder to the garage and that panel would need a grounding electrode. IMO, using the existing one one be optional.
If the garage is attached then you simply have a sub panel.
If I were inspecting my first concern would be calculated loads if the garage has much load.

Wistrick

I'm having a bit of a time visualizing.
If the garage is detached then you have one feeder to the garage and that panel would need a grounding electrode. IMO, using the existing one one be optional.
If the garage is attached then you simply have a sub panel.
If I were inspecting my first concern would be calculated loads if the garage has much load.

first the load on the house is calculated out to less than a 100 amps...All gas !!!

the 200 amp meter main with feed thru lugs in mounted on the outside of the mobile home...(yes in OR you can do this) Service is approved and hot....

Plan is to run an 1 1/2 conduit to the garage fed from the meter main....on a 100 amp breaker...The conduit to the garage will run underground outside both buildings not though them ...A fellow electrician friend of mine is telling me that because it doesn't run inside the structure and the garage is attached its considered 2 feeders to one building and illegal...

thoughts??

Dan

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I am not aware of any NEC rule that says that a feeder from a main panel to a subpanel must remain within the building.
In the case of a service disconnect separate from the building and two feeders from it to separate sub panels in the building, I would agree that is a problem, but there may be exceptions that allow even that.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I just put a new 48 x 26.7 mobile home on my property and am building a 24 x 24 garage on the front that will cover 10 ft of it...I already have a 200 amp meter main with feed thru lugs powering the house...My plan is to use a 100 amp breaker in the meter main to feed the garage...

first the load on the house is calculated out to less than a 100 amps...All gas !!!

the 200 amp meter main with feed thru lugs in mounted on the outside of the mobile home...(yes in OR you can do this) Service is approved and hot....

Plan is to run an 1 1/2 conduit to the garage fed from the meter main....on a 100 amp breaker.....

thoughts??

Dan
Why do you keep talking about feed through lugs?

I'm as confused as augie47 about your set up but his answer still applies. Your electrician buddy is thinking too hard.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I don't see a problem either way you look at it. If its considered one structure you can have as many feeders as you want from your service panel. If its considered separate structures you have one feeder to a separate structure and treat it as such.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I read what the op as saying is the garage is attached and is feed from a service panel not attached to the house so if he ran from that pole to the garage it would be a violation of 225.30. He would have 2 feeders going to the structure and that is a violation

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Perhaps... I'm still a bit unclear.... but

op:"the 200 amp meter main with feed thru lugs in mounted on the outside of the mobile home..."

Wistrick

If it is mounted on the mobile home then that is a violation. Perhaps this is a modular home...

The Oregon Specialty code allows a mobile home service to be mounted on the mobile home.....see #2

6-3 Electrical Service Equipment.6-3.1 Service Equipment Installations.Service equipment shall be provided for a manufactured dwelling by one of the following methods
1) Service equipment may be installed on the manufactured dwelling by the manufacturer at the manufacturing facility during the initial construction;(2) The service equipment may be field installed on the manufactured dwelling a tits final installation site;(3) The service equipment may be installed on a pole or as an approved pedestal adjacentto the manufactured dwelling;

Dan

Wistrick

I read what the op as saying is the garage is attached and is feed from a service panel not attached to the house so if he ran from that pole to the garage it would be a violation of 225.30. He would have 2 feeders going to the structure and that is a violation

This was the point that the other electrician was making to....But per Oregon Specialty code the service s mounted on the side of the house and not on a pole...The other electrician I was talking t didn't know this was allowed since he is from WA that doesn't allow it...

thanks everybody

Dan

kwired

Electron manager
I think more clarification to the amendment Oregon has made here is important. If they allow to attach service equipment to the mobile home - you no longer have a structure supplied by a feeder - it is supplied by the service - there is no limit to the number of feeders you can run in the structure, and even if you can call the garage a separate structure for some reason - the OP is only running one feeder to it from what I understand so still no problem in my book.

If this were typical NEC install with service on separate structure and feeder to the mobile home - then adding the garage could be an issue - only if the garage and mobile home are considered one structure though. Otherwise you have two feeders to two separate structures. Where you can get into trouble is if you want a switch in the home for a light in the garage or something like that.

Building codes may or may not allow such attachment of a garage. If they do allow they may still want a fire rating between them to still be able to consider them to be treated like separate structures. The garage would still likely not be allowed to be structurally dependent on the mobile home or vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.