Don (Is taping devices required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgeierman

There is some confusion on using electrical tape over devices. I thought it was cleared up in the 2009 code all devices would have tape wrapped around them. Is this true or only commercial or not required.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree too. Some have argued that taping is a "better job" but it's never been required.

kwired

Electron manager
Is also a crutch for those working them hot - though they are supposed to turn the power off.

Won't say I never did that though:angel:

My bigger pet peeve is those who tape up wire nuts, even those that claim it keeps moisture out really irk me as I usually find it does an even better job at keeping moisture in:(

iwire

Staff member
Is also a crutch for those working them hot - though they are supposed to turn the power off.

Won't say I never did that though:angel:

My bigger pet peeve is those who tape up wire nuts, even those that claim it keeps moisture out really irk me as I usually find it does an even better job at keeping moisture in:(

I agree on all points. :)

kwired

Electron manager
I am 50 and have been a paid member of the trade since 17 ... what do you think? :D
That like me, you were lucky.

So far.

This is kind of same reason I don't buy lottery tickets. Should I buy the jackpot winner, I'd probably be electrocuted the next day changing a receptacle live.:roll:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That like me, you were lucky.

So far.

This is kind of same reason I don't buy lottery tickets. Should I buy the jackpot winner, I'd probably be electrocuted the next day changing a receptacle live.:roll:
In CA at least, the statistic is that if the store where you buy your tickets is note than 1 mile away you are more likely to be killed in a car crash than to get the jackpot prize.

kwired

Electron manager
In CA at least, the statistic is that if the store where you buy your tickets is note than 1 mile away you are more likely to be killed in a car crash than to get the jackpot prize.
I'd bet that even if I lived across the street from the store, my chances of being hit by a car walking home with the tickets is greater then winning jackpot.

But I like the line from movie Bruce Almighty where someone won the lottery, but so did millions of other people and they each only got like $17:)

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I'd bet that even if I lived across the street from the store, my chances of being hit by a car walking home with the tickets is greater then winning jackpot.

But I like the line from movie Bruce Almighty where someone won the lottery, but so did millions of other people and they each only got like $17:)

there was something that actually happened like that.....

a comic in his routine claimed he had a vision, and god
told him the winning lottery numbers.... so he used this in his
stand up nightclub act for a while.... and people bought tickets
with those numbers, which varied from show to show as he was
making them up on the fly.

one night, he was right..... they had about 50 way split on the pot,
and the minimum payout x 50 was more than the state took in, so
they lost money on that one, iirc, it was east coast state.

the comic didn't buy a ticket, however. bummer.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

told him the winning lottery numbers....

one night, he was right.....
Twice the irony for the price of one ticket. That is fantastic. You can't make up stuff as amazing as what happens in real life.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

told him the winning lottery numbers.... so he used this in his
stand up nightclub act for a while.... and people bought tickets
with those numbers, which varied from show to show as he was
making them up on the fly.

one night, he was right..... they had about 50 way split on the pot,
and the minimum payout x 50 was more than the state took in, so
they lost money on that one, iirc, it was east coast state.

The one legitimate way to scientifically improve your lottery ticket odds is to play numbers that are less likely to be chosen by other people "randomly". It does not change your odds of winning, but it improves the expected payout if you do win.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
There is some confusion on using electrical tape over devices. I thought it was cleared up in the 2009 code all devices would have tape wrapped around them. Is this true or only commercial or not required.

It may very well have been cleared up in the 2009 code but, it was never published so we'll never know. :(

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.