Main breaker or six throws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello all,

Trying to get my head together on this..

I was informed a couple months back the sub panel I put in my shed was wrong ( single phase 120/240)(and a couple other places) as 384-13 (older code I think) being main lug it would have require a main breaker where over two breakers where used in a lighting and appliance panelboard.

Looking around.........I'm thinking that was removed and that subject refers to 408.36 now adays.

In reading 408.36, is my main lug install now correct with 6 or 8 breakers in it?

I'm trying to figure out if SIX throws is acceptable for service equipment or when a main would be required....

In a couple months, I will be installing a temp service...
I put together a few some 20 years ago with no problems, they where all main lug...

But now, the more I understand (or try to) I'm rethinking that this outdoor main lug temp panel may have to be main breaker...

Thank you for any clarification on this...

rich

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
As long as they are grouped. Four in one subpanel and two in a second sub in a different location will not comply.
You are not allowed to walk between throws. :)

I don't see where the Op or gus suggested that. One panel with 6 throws---compliant

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Be careful where the panel is required to be suitable for use as service equipment. A number of panels are listed as suitable for use as service equipment only where an single main breaker has been installed in the panel.

Note that with the 2011 and earlier codes, the disconnect for a second building was required to be suitable for use as service equipment.

ritelec

Thank you all.

Be careful where the panel is required to be suitable for use as service equipment. A number of panels are listed as suitable for use as service equipment only where an single main breaker has been installed in the panel.

Note that with the 2011 and earlier codes, the disconnect for a second building was required to be suitable for use as service equipment.

And 2014?

Quick question.

The international pool panel with time clock.
Would a pool be a separate structure??
Would the intermatic panel not be suitable as I don't think it's rated for service equipment.

And please let be know I have this correct. The panel board would need to be rated for use as service equipment with main breaker or main lug and six breakers. The lighting and appliance panelboard article is gone.

Thanks again

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
You said this was a sub-panel? Where does it originate from? Is there overcurrent protection there? I thought the rule was you were only supposed to run a single circuit (or a multiwire branch) unless you put a panel and ground rods there. In your case you have a panel, do you have ground rods?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
(2011 NEC) 225.36 Suitable for Service Equipment. The disconnecting means specified in 225.31 shall be suitable for use as service equipment.
(2014 NEC) 225.36 Type. The disconnecting means specified in 225.31 shall be comprised of a circuit breaker, molded case switch, general-use switch, snap switch, or other approved means. Where applied in accordance with 250.32(B), Exception No. 1, the disconnecting means shall be suitable for use as service equipment.
The change was made because the only reason to require the disconnect to be suitable for use as service equipment went away a number of code cycles ago. You only need a disconnect suitable for use as service equipment, if you are permitted to use the grounded conductor in the feeder as both the grounding and grounded conductor. Other that for existing installations, you can no longer use the grounded conductor of the second building feeder for both purposes.

ritelec

I SEE THE LIGHT.....( I think)

I SEE THE LIGHT.....( I think)

Thank you...

Straightening out alot.

Was looking for the Panelboard reference for the "single throw" to my detached shed at the shed location and not at the breaker feeding it from my main..

I was hovering around 225.31,225.32,225.33(A) .......... I think you found it at 225.36..............

comprised of a circuit breaker, molded case switch, etc... ALL SINGULAR.. not "plural" as up to SIX.

So my shed with up to six throws is good (after I add the rod :D)

Equipment not needed to be rated for service equipment if there is a separate ground and neutral............wow.thanks on that info.............

My above question about the pool panel..........(intermatic).......... It would not need to be service rated (seperate neut,and grd)
All the sub panels at detached buildings (garages,sheds) would not need to be service rated (with seperate neut. and grd)
(both pool as structure and separate structure would both need two rods, even though panel is not rated as service equipment)
Six throws is good for detached structure and temp service as main disconnect.
Temp service will need to be equipment service rated as the grounding and grounded conductor are the same conductor.

Lighting and appliance panelboard having no more than two throws no longer exists....

Nice...

Thank you !!

Status
Not open for further replies.