Pyrophoric carbonization

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeltaFarce

New User
Well, it took me reading a few replies and this one finally opened my eyes about the 'farce' part of screen name :lol::angel::slaphead:
I think you have found that most folks AGREE with you on AFCI , heh, heh.

farce: noun nonsense, satire

Do you dare question my allegiance to the almighty CMP? The men above all others? The people who would never, ever, ever force a product on the consumers because of the fat envelops they were handed under the table by the manufacturers??

AFCI save lives! The manufacturers said so and the CMP agreed.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Again, since the phenomenon has, and can be witnessed with the POWER OFF, Pyrophoric carbonization has about zero to do with afci technology

From this forum's owner here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_zzHpGBGw

~RJ~

Now I think I know why the rest of the world uses TT earthing systems.

In any case that is a perfect example of what energized metal against wood will do.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
...The people who would never, ever, ever force a product on the consumers because of the fat envelops they were handed under the table by the manufacturers?? ...
I think that comment is way over the line.
I am not a fan of the AFCI, but in no way, do I think there was any type of bribery or collusion in the adoption of the AFCI rules.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I set my insulation tester at 100 volts and connected the leads to the brass screws that hold my deck boards to the joists below. With the deck "dry" I had 3.4 meg-ohms. After I soaked it for a bit with a hose, I had 0.24 meg-ohms. The connection points were about 5' apart on the same 2x6 pressure treated deck board. The deck was about 20 years old at the time, so not sure how much of the pressure treatment chemical was still in the wood.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I set my insulation tester at 100 volts and connected the leads to the brass screws that hold my deck boards to the joists below. With the deck "dry" I had 3.4 meg-ohms. After I soaked it for a bit with a hose, I had 0.24 meg-ohms. The connection points were about 5' apart on the same 2x6 pressure treated deck board. The deck was about 20 years old at the time, so not sure how much of the pressure treatment chemical was still in the wood.

Still enough to pass a few micro amps. Obviously nothing would happen in the short run but the long run is a gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.