Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Ground Wire From Ground Rod

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,596
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    The ground rod is not required per NEC (and is stupid) so i think you can do whatever you want with it, as long as its done per the plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post

    It's a waste because look at the size of that huge concrete electrode that's buried in the ground compared to the rod.

    I kind of disagree with you guys. Not in theory but in practice.

    The NEC is not a design manual, it is a set of minimum safety standards. These drawings are engineering specs of how they want the light pole installed.

    It may be a waste of money but that's not up to the electrician. The electrician must install according to job specs.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13,239
    Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    I kind of disagree with you guys. Not in theory but in practice.

    The NEC is not a design manual, it is a set of minimum safety standards. These drawings are engineering specs of how they want the light pole installed.

    It may be a waste of money but that's not up to the electrician. The electrician must install according to job specs.
    Efelon wrote to just do it to code and not specs/plans, Infinity made no reference as such, he and I only said it was prolly a waste.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin


    Derek

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    24,177
    Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    I kind of disagree with you guys. Not in theory but in practice.

    The NEC is not a design manual, it is a set of minimum safety standards. These drawings are engineering specs of how they want the light pole installed.

    It may be a waste of money but that's not up to the electrician. The electrician must install according to job specs.
    I wasn't suggesting that they don't install as shown just that the rod won't do much.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cherry Valley NY, Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,516
    Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    I kind of disagree with you guys. Not in theory but in practice.

    The NEC is not a design manual, it is a set of minimum safety standards. These drawings are engineering specs of how they want the light pole installed.

    It may be a waste of money but that's not up to the electrician. The electrician must install according to job specs.
    I fully agree. If it is on the plans, you must install even if not required by NEC. My point was since it is not required by the NEC, there are no requirements beyond any instructions stated on the plans.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

    "You can't generalize"

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Looks like this #6 ground wire is run without conduit. What type of insulation would be needed? Thanks.
    I always used copper solid...I also always used #4

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13,239
    Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    I always used copper solid...I also always used #4
    #4 to a rod? Why?
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin


    Derek

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    24,177
    #4 solid yuck.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    34,318
    Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    #4 to a rod? Why?
    Same reasons to use PVC coated RMC and cadweld

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cherry Valley NY, Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,516
    Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    #4 to a rod? Why?
    Remember the size of the gec depends in installation method, not just type of electrode. FwIW.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

    "You can't generalize"

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    24,177
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Same reasons to use PVC coated RMC and cadweld
    But why solid?
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •