Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ground Wire From Ground Rod

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Sorry I did. So wouldn't the ground rod be helpful be helpful in the event of a lightning strike and someone standing near the pole.
    If it has lower resistance then the pole base, then it will carry more current then the pole base. You are still in great danger if you are standing near the pole when it gets hit by lightning.

The high voltage and high frequency involved in lightning strikes makes rather high impedance paths for the under 1000 volt wiring systems look like nothing to the lightning strike.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    If it has lower resistance then the pole base, then it will carry more current then the pole base. You are still in great danger if you are standing near the pole when it gets hit by lightning.

The high voltage and high frequency involved in lightning strikes makes rather high impedance paths for the under 1000 volt wiring systems look like nothing to the lightning strike.
    I have personally done these jobs for NYCHA, the drawing reads to install a ground rod with a #6 copper conductor connected to it by means of cad weld. Also to connect the grounding electrode conductor in parallel with the grounding equipment conductor. I have argued this many times.....if there was a lightning strike this will destroy everything back to the panel and all the electronic equipment we have installed. The electrical engineer for NYCHAhas agreed with me, but insists to complete the job according to the spec.
    We all have agreed that the ground rod serves absolutely no purpose in the installation. Like someone else here had mentioned....it’s a waste of money!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkcontrol View Post
    I have personally done these jobs for NYCHA, the drawing reads to install a ground rod with a #6 copper conductor connected to it by means of cad weld. Also to connect the grounding electrode conductor in parallel with the grounding equipment conductor. I have argued this many times.....if there was a lightning strike this will destroy everything back to the panel and all the electronic equipment we have installed. The electrical engineer for NYCHAhas agreed with me, but insists to complete the job according to the spec.
    We all have agreed that the ground rod serves absolutely no purpose in the installation. Like someone else here had mentioned....it’s a waste of money!

If you're not using a ground rod a lightning strike on the metal grounded pole would still have a direct connection to the EGC run with the branch circuit. I don't see how adding a rod changes that for the worse.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by tkb View Post
    PVC coated RGS for the conduit?
    That would require bonding the conduit to the GEC at each end of the conduit per 250.64(E).
    Don, Illinois
    Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity. Dr. Rick Rigsby
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    That would require bonding the conduit to the GEC at each end of the conduit per 250.64(E).
    Not if the GEC isnt NEC required
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    Not if the GEC isnt NEC required
    Where does the NEC say you get a free pass on that?

An EGC installed in a metallic raceway that already meets the provisions for an EG, still needs to be installed per code
    Tom
    TBLO