OSHA marking requirements for temporary service

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirebender

Where would I find the OSHA requirements for marking panels for temporary service on construction sites?

We had a safety inspector for the GC write us up for not having the voltage marked on the panels.

kwired

Electron manager
Where would I find the OSHA requirements for marking panels for temporary service on construction sites?

We had a safety inspector for the GC write us up for not having the voltage marked on the panels.
Did it matter that it was or was not temporary? Something tells me no.

Other question is does it need to have voltage marked - unless possibly in the situation where there is more then one voltage source on the premises? Simply marking as "high voltage" may be all that OSHA needs to see.

iwire

Staff member

The OSHA rules apply to temps as much as permanent installations.

kwired

Electron manager
This is the label that is on the panels.
Is this sufficient for OSHA?

http://forums.mikeholt.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12635&stc=1&d=1433343437
I can't say I know OSHA rules, but would think it is sufficient for safety of non electrical workers. Safety for electrical workers may need more information, but from other discussions there is no set electrical safety rules so much as the employer must have an electrical safety policy, and that it is common to just state that 70E is your policy as it is much easier to do that then to try to make sure your own policy is sufficient enough, but that means you must follow whatever is in 70E if it is your policy.

luckylerado

OSHA 1926
Subpart K
1926.403(G) and (H)

(g) Marking. Electrical equipment
shall not be used unless the manufacturer?s
name, trademark, or other descriptive
marking by which the organization
responsible for the product may
be identified is placed on the equipment
and unless other markings are
provided giving voltage, current, wattage,
or other ratings as necessary. The
marking shall be of sufficient durability
to withstand the environment involved.

(h) Identification of disconnecting
means and circuits. Each disconnecting
means required by this subpart for motors
and appliances shall be legibly
marked to indicate its purpose, unless
located and arranged so the purpose is
evident. Each service, feeder, and
branch circuit, at its disconnecting
means or overcurrent device, shall be
legibly marked to indicate its purpose,
unless located and arranged so the purpose
is evident. These markings shall
be of sufficient durability to withstand
the environment involved.

See EM-385 11.A.06 for COE projects

Also need to indicate the location of the main disconnect.

kwired

Electron manager
Marking. Electrical equipment
or other ratings as necessary.
So what does that mean exactly? Every item that can be considered to be electrical in nature must meet this? Even something like a conduit strap? "As necessary" at the end leaves it wide open for interpretation issues.

Also need to indicate the location of the main disconnect.
Main disconnect for what? Entire service or other supply? specific equipment?

Where does it need to be indicated? At main physical entrance(s)? In electrical rooms? At each panelboard? At every piece of electric equipment?

lot of unclear stuff in there IMO.

luckylerado

So what does that mean exactly? Every item that can be considered to be electrical in nature must meet this? Even something like a conduit strap? "As necessary" at the end leaves it wide open for interpretation issues.

I would say that "as necessary" would mean anything with those attributes. ie hazardous voltage, wattage, ect. Probably not the strap:ashamed1:

Main disconnect for what? Entire service or other supply? specific equipment? .
Main disconnect to the service equipment. I have not found that reference. I remember it was buried somewhere. May be 70e

Where does it need to be indicated? At main physical entrance(s)? In electrical rooms? At each panelboard? At every piece of electric equipment?

At every piece of electric equipment unless it is arranged to make it obvious. ie a GFI recept attached to a temp bang board is arranged so that the disconnecting means is obvious but one being fed from over yonder may not be.

lot of unclear stuff in there IMO.
I must agree.:thumbsup:

wirebender

OSHA 1926
Subpart K
1926.403(G) and (H)

(g) Marking. Electrical equipment
or other ratings as necessary.

Aren't these requirements for the manufacture markings.
I believe these are talking about the ratings, not what voltage is applied.

kwired

Electron manager
I would say that "as necessary" would mean anything with those attributes. ie hazardous voltage, wattage, ect. Probably not the strap:ashamed1:

Main disconnect to the service equipment. I have not found that reference. I remember it was buried somewhere. May be 70e

At every piece of electric equipment unless it is arranged to make it obvious. ie a GFI recept attached to a temp bang board is arranged so that the disconnecting means is obvious but one being fed from over yonder may not be.

I must agree.:thumbsup:

Well you are talking to electrical professionals on an electrical forum here and terms used may be somewhat conflicting with what they actually intend and what they are defined to mean in the NEC, which adds confusion. When I talk service as an electrical professional and NEC user I am talking the supply conductors and associated equipment coming from a utility company. A building not supplied by a utility company has no service, but mentioned OSHA rules still apply to it - see what I am getting at?

I can't ever recall entering a building and having it pointed out where the service disconnecting means is, and if I am not a worker (employed or contracted) in that facility, it kind of isn't necessarily my business to know either.

I can understand marking where the branch circuit disconnecting means is for some things, but don't see it all that necessary for everything either. You think every receptacle and every luminaire needs to be identified to where to disconnect it's source from, unless it is extremely obvious? Not saying you are wrong, just stating my thoughts on the topic. What about needing a disconnect for the disconnect?:roll:

What about those of us that are contractors and work in different places all the time? You won't find such identification in a dwelling, or most smaller business buildings, at least not on every receptacle or luminaire, a lot of significant fixed equipment will typically have an obvious disconnecting means, cord and plug connected equipment has the cord and plug as a disconnecting means, but how can we possibly ever comply with OSHA if that is the rule when it comes to changing a receptacle in some customer's house? It is still their house, but our transient workplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.