Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PE exam guidance

NCEES Practice Exam

Aside from using a majority of the NEC in my day-to-day life as an EIT working under a PE, I started studying the Camara book in January 2017 for a few nights a week after work and took the exam in April. I did not take a PPI class as others have mentioned, although I hear it can be beneficial if you have the funds to pay for it.

Edit** - I forgot to mention that the NCEES has a practice exam for you to also work problems with. This can also be a great tool to study with as it gives you an idea of the breadth of questions to be asked.

https://account.ncees.org/exam-prep/

Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit1 View Post
    When i was wirting my FE exam i gave Arizona as Licensing state now i want to register as PE in VA.Can i transfer my EIT license to VA?
    The FE test is standardized and administered by the NCEES. I believe that the EIT is not a license, and is not issued by any state. Rather, it is a certification issued by the NCEES, stating that you passed the test. So yes, you can use your EIT as the starting point for getting a PE license in VA.

Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Quote Originally Posted by tw1156 View Post
    Aside from using a majority of the NEC in my day-to-day life as an EIT working under a PE, I started studying the Camara book in January 2017 for a few nights a week after work and took the exam in April. I did not take a PPI class as others have mentioned, although I hear it can be beneficial if you have the funds to pay for it.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    The FE test is standardized and administered by the NCEES. I believe that the EIT is not a license, and is not issued by any state. Rather, it is a certification issued by the NCEES, stating that you passed the test. So yes, you can use your EIT as the starting point for getting a PE license in VA.

Thanks Charlie!I still have to have 1 more year experience to go.I am thinking of starting to prep in June.2018 and take the exam in April 2019 which would be more than enough time with work as well!

I did not take a class before taking the EIT and PE tests. I took them back-to-back on two consecutive days, 12 years out of college. Not recommended! But you are past the first test already, and that will help. What I did instead was buy a copy of a book that had example EIT tests with solutions. I worked though that book, also using my planned reference books as a study guide. It is important to be so familiar with whatever reference book you are allowed to bring that you can quickly go right to the page you need, instead of surfing around looking for information. If you don't think you can remember Ohm's Law, then waste the time now looking for where it shows up in your reference book. Don't allow yourself to have to waste time during the test trying to find it in the reference book.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

The rules related to experience and education vary state to state. Your profile's zip code puts you in New York. Their rules are here:
    http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/pels/article145.htm

The rules do say, "the board may accept study beyond the bachelor's degree in partial fulfillment of this requirement," referring to the requirement of four years work experience.

The test is standardized, and I suspect the rules regarding bringing reference materials into the test room are also standardized. Check with the NCEES for the current rules. Not long after I took the test, the rules were changed to say that only one specific reference book was allowed, and you could not bring your own copy. They would give you a copy when you entered the test room. Whatever the rules say now, I would strongly recommend that you get a copy of any reference books they let you use, and study using those books.
    Reference book is provided for fundamentals.

You can bring any reference material for PE, even hand-written notes or worked problems, as long as it is bound (3-ring, etc. is OK). One book, milk-crate full, or hand-cart full but I'm sure there is a practical limit they will allow just because of space accommodations. There are calculator restrictions.
    BB+/BB=?

Quote Originally Posted by mivey View Post
    Reference book is provided for fundamentals.

You can bring any reference material for PE, even hand-written notes or worked problems, as long as it is bound (3-ring, etc. is OK). One book, milk-crate full, or hand-cart full but I'm sure there is a practical limit they will allow just because of space accommodations. There are calculator restrictions.
    When I took the exam, guys were coming in with luggage trunks. I soon learned, as charlie b alludes to, that more is not better. At the venue I was in, they had plenty of room between test takers to accommodate nearly any quantity of reference material.

in PA eit's are registered by the board
    they can be verified on the state website
    you can't take the fe without being registered

ref material I took
    college circuit theory text
    college power text
    machines text
    fields text
    engineering math text
    intro economics text
    nec
    nesc
    bound book of notes, tables, etc
    spare calculator batteries
    one milk crate
    did not use all of them

some folks had laundry carts lol
    Last edited by Ingenieur; 11-27-17 at 08:29 PM.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

I did not take a class before taking the EIT and PE tests. I took them back-to-back on two consecutive days, 12 years out of college. Not recommended! But you are past the first test already, and that will help. What I did instead was buy a copy of a book that had example EIT tests with solutions. I worked though that book, also using my planned reference books as a study guide. It is important to be so familiar with whatever reference book you are allowed to bring that you can quickly go right to the page you need, instead of surfing around looking for information. If you don't think you can remember Ohm's Law, then waste the time now looking for where it shows up in your reference book. Don't allow yourself to have to waste time during the test trying to find it in the reference book.
    Thanks Charlie!

Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit1 View Post
    Thanks Ron!How much did it cost for review class once a week?I am looking at the options and none of them is less than 1000$
    Due to poor study habits, I needed the forced study period once a week in addition to whatever I was able to squeeze out of my family time.

It was a while ago, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was that much
    Ron