Retrofit fittings for open PVC ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carultch

I'd like to see if anyone can recommend any parts similar to this PVC fitting:
767531.jpg

except, which can be installed retroactively in a "whoops, I forgot" situation, where wire is already pulled.

The intent would be to eliminate prolonged damage to the wire, from expansion and contraction. The wire damage from pulling is probably already done, and negligible if there is any at all. The NEC requires these, but it is common to find existing situations without them.

John120/240

Cut it in half. Install it & secure with hose clamps. Not sure how this would fly with your inspector. On jobs where I have been, everybody on the crew understands the protection offered by the Bell End & if they were missing someone would of got them installed before the pull.

iwire

Staff member
I'd like to see if anyone can recommend any parts similar to this PVC fitting:
767531.jpg

except, which can be installed retroactively in a "whoops, I forgot" situation, where wire is already pulled.

The intent would be to eliminate prolonged damage to the wire, from expansion and contraction. The wire damage from pulling is probably already done, and negligible if there is any at all. The NEC requires these, but it is common to find existing situations without them.

I do not know of a product for that but I will note that a fitting at the end of a PVC conduit is not optional it is required by the NEC. The EC may have to undue the connections and slid the fitting on.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Cut it in half. Install it & secure with hose clamps. Not sure how this would fly with your inspector. On jobs where I have been, everybody on the crew understands the protection offered by the Bell End & if they were missing someone would of got them installed before the pull.

slit one side only, work it over the wires one at a time, put some
slow setting adhesive on the end of the pipe, slide the puppy on
with the slit in the least noticeable location, and clamp with a hose
clamp till dry. remove clamp.

and the inspector i've been working under for the last two years
has a definite thing for bell mouths. i've got some 4" schedule 80
pvc used as sleeves on conveyors to put cables thru for support.
6' to 8' long. and every one of them has bell mouths, thank you
very much. for armored pvc jacketed cable. i was teasing him
about just running a router with a 1/4" radius bit around the inside
to make a bell mouth, and he said i could do that, and when i
removed the cables to add the bell mouths, would i please cut off
that damaged end before i put the bellmouths on?

yes, sir. :angel:

Slit it on one side, DIAGONALLY (at a 45 degree angle).
Work the cables through the slit, one by one
Sit it in place.
Apply generous amounts of PVC cement inside and over the slit to "blend it in".
As others suggested, position the slit on the "far side", so that it's covered by the cables going in.
I've done it, and nobody was the wiser, including the inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.