Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LOTO padlock

Quote Originally Posted by just the cowboy View Post
    It says somewhere that all locks need to be keyed differently. We had to order them because we had 300 people with locks.

Don't let cost over rule safety.
    Oddly enough I have seen safety catalogs carry products that offer a master key option which sounds like the worst idea ever. The one place I worked at that I had to have my own, the safety director would personally hand them out and he'd break the spare key, as they always came with two.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    Oddly enough I have seen safety catalogs carry products that offer a master key option which sounds like the worst idea ever. The one place I worked at that I had to have my own, the safety director would personally hand them out and he'd break the spare key, as they always came with two.
    If the master key(s) were kept under strict managerial, procedural and physical, control and only use where otherwise the lock would be cut off, I can see the value.
    Note that master keyed is very distinct from keyed alike, as 99+% of the time the individual key would be used.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    If the master key(s) were kept under strict managerial, procedural and physical, control and only use where otherwise the lock would be cut off, I can see the value.
    Note that master keyed is very distinct from keyed alike, as 99+% of the time the individual key would be used.
    That, of course, is the nub of the issue. All you need is someone in production to get a hold of one and it's chaos. No C.O.N.T.R.O.L.

Let's move forward. Given this scenario, if we standardize this standard padlock then we fabricate (let's say red sticker with lockout sign attached to the standard padlock), should we say that I am already an OSH compliant?

Standard padlock only cost u $5 while using lockout padlock will cost you $36

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    Let's move forward. Given this scenario, if we standardize this standard padlock then we fabricate (let's say red sticker with lockout sign attached to the standard padlock), should we say that I am already an OSH compliant?

Standard padlock only cost u $5 while using lockout padlock will cost you $36
    I suppose that could work, as long as you can ensure all the locks are keyed different.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    I suppose that could work, as long as you can ensure all the locks are keyed different.
    Thanks...that helps me a lot