Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LOTO padlock

LOTO padlock

Are there any code violations (OSHA, NFPA70E) for using an ordinary padlock instead of using lockout padlock? The only intention is for cost cutting.

Looking forward for your comments

There are certain requirements not only for padlocks but for an entire LOTO program. If you are asking this question, it is likely that your facility does not have a written lockout tagout program. Please refer to OSHA 1910.147 for details on a LOTO program.

To specifically answer your question, a regular padlock cannot be used for LOTO. There are specific requirements for a LOTO lock contained in 1910.147(c).

I don't see anything that says you can't use a standard lock for lockout. It just requires that it be readily identifiable as a lockout lock. In many cases this is accomplished by the use of a standard lock of a specific color.
    Don, Illinois
    Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity. Dr. Rick Rigsby
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    I don't see anything that says you can't use a standard lock for lockout. It just requires that it be readily identifiable as a lockout lock. In many cases this is accomplished by the use of a standard lock of a specific color.
    i would think that the location of a lock would readily identify it as a LOTO lock.

after all, nobody is padlocking that disconnect to prevent theft, are they?
    the person APPLYING the lock needs to be readily identifiable.

we'd find locks on equipment at DWP that had been applied 15 years before,
    by someone who'd since retired.

those brady tags really are durable.....
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    Are there any code violations (OSHA, NFPA70E) for using an ordinary padlock instead of using lockout padlock? The only intention is for cost cutting.
    It may help answer your question if you tell us what codes are applicable to you in the Philippines, and in your industry. I would not have expected OSHA or NFPA to apply, but it will still depend on what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
    There are certain requirements not only for padlocks but for an entire LOTO program. If you are asking this question, it is likely that your facility does not have a written lockout tagout program. Please refer to OSHA 1910.147 for details on a LOTO program.

To specifically answer your question, a regular padlock cannot be used for LOTO. There are specific requirements for a LOTO lock contained in 1910.147(c).
    My warm thanks for giving me the reference. However as stated in OSHA 1910.147

1910.147(c)(5)(ii)(B)
    Standardized. Lockout and tagout devices shall be standardized within the facility in at least one of the following criteria: Color; shape; or size; and additionally, in the case of tagout devices, print and format shall be standardized.

There are no specification for the padlock to be used, and additionally, its function is still the same. Please see attached photo for referenceName:  LOTO.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  94.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    Yes, that's my point. However, are there any chances that I'll be issued with non compliance report?

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    It may help answer your question if you tell us what codes are applicable to you in the Philippines, and in your industry. I would not have expected OSHA or NFPA to apply, but it will still depend on what you are doing.
    HI. MAC

OSHA and NFPA are applicable here in the Philippines

LOTO Locks

Per the regulation

Standardized. Lockout and tagout devices shall be standardized within the facility in at least one of the following criteria: Color; shape; or size; and additionally, in the case of tagout devices, print and format shall be standardized.

Locks used for lockout must be readily identifiable. We use a standard padlock with red electrical tape around the body to identify it for use for lockout tagout.
    The goal is to ensure that everyone (affected and authorized personnel)in the area can identify that lock as a lockout lock even if the tag were removed.
    Additionally, a lockout lock cannot be used to tag equipment 'Out of Service'. Locks used for lockout are expected to be removed at the end of the shift by the worker that placed it there. If equipment is being taken permanently out of service, put a non-lockout lock on it and a message on it saying 'This equipment is out of service as of [insert date].

With respect to "If you are asking this question, it is likely that your facility does not have a written lockout tagout program". Give the guy a break. at least he's asking the question.

MikeCJ

Only watchout I see

It says somewhere that all locks need to be keyed differently. We had to order them because we had 300 people with locks.

Don't let cost over rule safety.
    A cowboy may get thrown , but they always get up and walk forward.