Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Box Fill Remodel Recess Can

Path of least resistance here, could be, measure the J box dimensions and just do the math, and see if the box fill is enough.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    It is amazing to me that there are so many inspectors who look for crap like this. The can probably has an nm cable insert so what does he think it means-- nm without ground. He needs to look for something more concerning than that
    With some of the things that we dwell on here, it shouldn't surprise you to see this. I think the language used on the box is suspicious. At the same time it would be very odd if the box was built for more than a dead end, but still wouldn't allow 4 conductors plus a ground. And it says, four through conductors, is that with or without breaks, etc. I think the verbage is useless, and if the inspector has a question just calculate the box capacity with a tape measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    With some of the things that we dwell on here, it shouldn't surprise you to see this. I think the language used on the box is suspicious. At the same time it would be very odd if the box was built for more than a dead end, but still wouldn't allow 4 conductors plus a ground. And it says, four through conductors, is that with or without breaks, etc. I think the verbage is useless, and if the inspector has a question just calculate the box capacity with a tape measure.
    These luminaires become less useful if the are designed for dead end only install. Plus how many 14 AWG does that equate to? Just going by 2.25 cubic inches x 4 = 9.0, we still can only have a dead end 14-2 with ground as two cables needs 10 cubic inches of space.

These are different then most boxes though, you generally have cable that has been fished, there is extra cable to allow pulling it out of the ceiling, fixed flush boxes are a pain to work in if conductor is too short these not so much, maybe that is factored into listing?

It is amazing to me that there are so many inspectors who look for crap like this. The can probably has an nm cable insert so what does he think it means-- nm without ground. He needs to look for something more concerning than that
    Exactly my thoughts. Probably an inspector who was never an electrician.

Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    Yeah, true but it may be that I am reacting to stuff that is going on here where IMO alot of over-interpretation is going on. I am not anti inspector. I get along well with most all inspectors but my Yankee mouth sometimes gets me in trouble until they know me anyhow.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Yeah, true but it may be that I am reacting to stuff that is going on here where IMO alot of over-interpretation is going on. I am not anti inspector. I get along well with most all inspectors but my Yankee mouth sometimes gets me in trouble until they know me anyhow.
    I understand where you are coming from. I feel very much the same way.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

?......but my Yankee mouth sometimes gets me in trouble until they know me anyhow.
    I would have never guessed - you are so meek and mild in your manner of speech......
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

I totally agree with everything you say. here in Florida though it is only getting worse. Think about LB fill. Don't make them if they aren't big enough to fit wires legal for the conduit.