Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Box Fill Remodel Recess Can

Box Fill Remodel Recess Can

I have an inspector that wants to know what the cubic inch volume for box fill is for a remodel recess can which I have run 2 12-2 romex . The junction box is labeled maximum 4 of no.12 through branch circuit conductors . How does this translate to what the inspector may be looking for . The recess junction box is not stamped with cubic inch volume . Any insight would be helpful . Thanks in advance .
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang4me2 View Post
    I have an inspector that wants to know what the cubic inch volume for box fill is for a remodel recess can which I have run 2 12-2 romex . The junction box is labeled maximum 4 of no.12 through branch circuit conductors . How does this translate to what the inspector may be looking for . The recess junction box is not stamped with cubic inch volume . Any insight would be helpful . Thanks in advance .
    Andy
    Many are labeled that way and IMO that overrides any fill requirements based on cubic inches, presuming the label is part of the listing.

The inspectors concern is the listing says 4 # 12 through branch circuit conductors . We ran 2 12-2 romex , and the inspector is saying the ground is also to be counted as one . Since it is not a box fill calculation I was thinking the ground wire may have been omitted from their listing .

The inspectors concern is the listing says 4 # 12 through branch circuit conductors . We ran 2 12-2 romex , and the inspector is saying the ground is also to be counted as one . Since it is not a box fill calculation I was thinking the ground wire may have been omitted from their listing .
    An EGC is not a circuit conductor unless there is a fault.

It would not be counted here IMO.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Ridiculous. If box includes those small KO's for cable, it's intended for entire #12-cable assemble. Conduit only would be indicated.

Ask the smuck, if grounding is removed from #12 cable assembly, would GFCI protection pass inspection?
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Well, I see three issues.

1. The ground is supposed to be counted as a conductor for box fill in field-installed junction boxes, so one might assume it would be uniform for boxes in a Listed assembly.

2. The idiot writing the label didn't think of that, and just counted the two hots and two neutrals.

3. The inspector can't use a tiniest amount of common sense to realize this.

96% of installed recessed cans out there have a cable in and a cable out.

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    An EGC is not a circuit conductor unless there is a fault.

It would not be counted here IMO.
    I agree.

Look at the Article 100 definition of Grounding Conductor, Equipment (EGC).

The EGC is the conductive path(S) between the normally non-current-carrying metal parts of equipment and the system grounded conductor or the grounding electrode conductor, or both.

The idea of paths (versus a single conductor) includes all manner of conductive paths of varied materials and construction.

But the definition does not mention "branch circuit" when talking about "conductive paths."
    Another Al in Minnesota

It is amazing to me that there are so many inspectors who look for crap like this. The can probably has an nm cable insert so what does he think it means-- nm without ground. He needs to look for something more concerning than that
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    It is amazing to me that there are so many inspectors who look for crap like this...
    I'll bet it was the same inspector that did a house remodel before I'm there to do some more. I found a brand new bright yellow NM sticking out the back wall of the house. Live. Has been there for months since final inspection and move-in. Live. I'll bet the dog learned to not lick it.

What brand and model is this can?