MI Cable for critical branch wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I am in the midst of designing an OR which will be fed by a normal and a critical branch panelboard with GFCI breakers. For the first time ever, I am wiring the critical branch panel with regular conduit and wire as opposed to MI cable. This I justify by the 2014 NEC's divorcing of the critical branch from Article 700. I'm comfortable with it because I've long suspected MI cable of being a huge waste of money.

This is however an opinion not supported with empirical evidence. And when one goes to find information on the merits of MI cable, one finds a slew of articles by it's one and only one manufacturer in the US, Pytrotenax. Is anyone familiar with a white paper or other resource which objectively discusses the benefits or lack thereof of MI cable?

Thanks,

Mike

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
. I'm comfortable with it because I've long suspected MI cable of being a huge waste of money.

Thanks,

Mike
And you are right. I've been wiring OR's, Triage Rooms, CT"s, Linear Accelerators, PACU's, etc... for 40 years and have never used MI cable in any of them.

Not only is it a huge waste of money, IMO, it's an antiquated wiring method.

Roger

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
And you are right. I've been wiring OR's, Triage Rooms, CT"s, Linear Accelerators, PACU's, etc... for 40 years and have never used MI cable in any of them.

Not only is it a huge waste of money, IMO, it's an antiquated wiring method.

Roger
But if the NEC requires a high degree of fire resistance for the circuit, you may be able to use wire in raceway, but you would then have to encase the raceway in 2" of concrete. :)
The OP is asserting that fire resistance is not really needed for his application, just protection from physical damage.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
But if the NEC requires a high degree of fire resistance for the circuit, you may be able to use wire in raceway, but you would then have to encase the raceway in 2" of concrete. :)
Please tell me where this would be required and then tell me you have seen OR wiring encased in concrete up the walls and overhead to power drops?

The OP is asserting that fire resistance is not really needed for his application,
The OP is correct, it is not needed for this application

Just protection from physical damage.
Which is always the case, it is not a new requirement.

The 2014 simply removed the term Emergency System, it didn't really change anything else.

Roger

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The OP is asserting that fire resistance is not really needed for his application, just protection from physical damage.

Or use Windy City's 712100LSZH CI riser cable. It's not on their web site, but I have a cut sheet for it. It comes in only one flavor, 14-2. Alternatively there is their CIC cable, listed FPL, part number 728100LSZH-S. It goes in EMT.

Phil Corso

MI certainly has its positive applications. I once had to install 11,000 feet for a modernization project for a US Gypsum plant!

Another unbeatable application is its use for power and instrument wiring associated on installations on the burner-face of boilers!

Regards, Phil Corso

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
MI certainly has its positive applications. I once had to install 11,000 feet for a modernization project for a US Gypsum plant!

Another unbeatable application is its use for power and instrument wiring associated on installations on the burner-face of boilers!

Regards, Phil Corso
A great reminder that the insulation on conventional wiring goes bad causing shorts long before the copper conductor or sheath melt.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Fire pump wiring comes to mind first.
And as Don points out, that has nothing to do with the question of branch circuit wiring in an O.R. or the price of peanut butter, IOW's not relevant to the OP's topic.:roll:

Roger

Phil Corso

Roger, since when did any comment on this forum have to relate to the OP's original query!:happyno:

In a lighter note, I'm not sure of the point you were making, but at the time of the installation I described, a test was performed on several MI cable sizes. Samples were crushed to about 1/4 of their original OD dimension, and never resulted in neither a conductor-to-conductor, or conductor-to-sheath failure!

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.