Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photo Luminescent Exit Sign

Is the UL category for luminescent signs that already contain a "charging" light source so as not to require a nearby external light source and so would have electrical components?
    If not, then apparently the UL listing would be for proper illumination versus time performance which would not necesarily be related to NEC but to other safely codes that require a lighted sign"?

I'm sorry GoldDigger, not clear on what you are telling me.

Quote Originally Posted by MyCleveland View Post
    I'm sorry GoldDigger, not clear on what you are telling me.
    I am just wondering whether tthe UL category for photoluminescent exit signs for hazardous areas is really a category for the combination of the photoluminescent material and a charging light source in one unit.
    If not, then the need for listing would seem to come from a code other than the NEC.

Quote Originally Posted by MyCleveland View Post
    Sorry....some day I will work out quote properly.
    I know a mod who might fix it.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Is the UL category for luminescent signs that already contain a "charging" light source so as not to require a nearby external light source and so would have electrical components?
    If not, then apparently the UL listing would be for proper illumination versus time performance which would not necesarily be related to NEC but to other safely codes that require a lighted sign"?
    GoldDigger,

Here is the Scope of [Exit Signs and Exit Appliances for Use in Hazardous Locations] Self-luminous Exit Signs and Markers for Use in Hazardous Locations, FWBH

This category covers exit signs that utilize a nonelectrical illumination power source, including exit signs containing self-luminous gases or with a photoluminescent surface activated by external illumination. These signs are intended for installation in accordance with ANSI/NFPA 101, "Life Safety Code," the "International Building Code," and other codes governing the marking of the means of egress.

These exit signs have been investigated for use in dry locations only unless marked as suitable for damp or wet locations. Those marked as suitable for indoor damp or wet locations have not been investigated for UV exposure. All exit signs have been investigated for use in ambient temperatures of 20 - 30°C (68 - 86°F) unless otherwise marked with an extended use temperature range.

Exit signs that have been investigated for mounting near the floor are marked, where visible after installation, "Suitable for Floor Proximity Installation" or equivalent wording.

These exit signs have been investigated for visibility from 100 ft unless otherwise marked for a maximum viewing distance of 50 or 75 ft. The marking is visible after installation.

EXTERNAL ILLUMINATION

Exit signs whose visibility is dependent on external illumination (such as photoluminescent signs) are intended for installation only where such external illumination is deemed reliable and sufficient by the Authority Having Jurisdiction and where the lighting controls are accessible only to authorized personnel. Where compliance with the visibility requirements requires external illumination greater than 1 ft-c, these signs are marked, where visible after installation, for a minimum 5 ft-c illumination, measured on the face of the sign. If specific type(s) of lighting are needed to achieve the required visibility, the lighting type is also marked on the sign where visible after installation.
    This Product Category covers both Photo Luminescent exit signs and self luminous exit signs (Nukes)

Chris