Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo Luminescent Exit Sign

Photo Luminescent Exit Sign

Can this type of sign, built to UL 924 standard, be installed in ANY classified area regardless of Class - Div - Group ?

Have a project where original powered signs were spec'ed for class-div-group-T code, reviewed, installed and inspected and owner added a few additional signs of this type and now are asking if it is Ok. I don't know what to tell them. Exit manufacturer stated because it meets UL 924 then all is fine.

I need something...NFPA-UL, etc. that ties the use as being acceptable.

Thanks in advance.

UL 924 does not cover emergency lighting units for Hazardous Locations. Here is what the Scope of UL 924 states:

This Standard applies to emergency lighting and power equipment for use in unclassified locations and intended for connection to branch circuits of 600 volts or less. Such equipment is intended to automatically supply illumination or power or both to critical areas and equipment in the event of failure of the normal supply, in accordance with Article 700 or 701 of the National Electrical Code, NFPA 70, the Life Safety Code, NFPA 101, the Fire Code, NFPA 1, the International Building Code, IBC, and the International Fire Code, IFC.
    Chris

Do you have more information on the photo luminescent exit sign that you are purposing to install in a hazardous location?

Chris

Thank you raider1

Link to sign ALREADY installed.http://bplighting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/ULTRA50.pdf

UL Certifies (Lists) Photo luminescent exit signs for hazardous locations to Product Category FWBH Self-luminous Exit Signs and Markers for Use in Hazardous Locations.

UL 926 is used to evaluate exit signs to this Product Category as well as The basic hazardous (classified) locations standards referenced in Equipment for Use in and Relating to Class I, II and III, Division 1 and 2 Hazardous Locations (AAIZ).

The Bright Path Lighting exit sign that you linked to is Listed under Product Category FWBX Exit Signs, Self-luminous and Photoluminescent. This means that the Exit sign has never been evaluated to the hazardous location Standards as part of its listing.

As a side note UL currently does not have any exit signs listed to Product Category FWBH.

Suitability for this exit sign to be installed in a Hazardous location would be up to the AHJ.

Are the lights that are used to charge this exit sign Listed for the hazardous location?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by raider1 View Post
    UL Certifies (Lists) Photo luminescent exit signs for hazardous locations to Product Category FWBH Self-luminous Exit Signs and Markers for Use in Hazardous Locations.

UL 926 is used to evaluate exit signs to this Product Category as well as The basic hazardous (classified) locations standards referenced in Equipment for Use in and Relating to Class I, II and III, Division 1 and 2 Hazardous Locations (AAIZ).

The Bright Path Lighting exit sign that you linked to is Listed under Product Category FWBX Exit Signs, Self-luminous and Photoluminescent. This means that the Exit sign has never been evaluated to the hazardous location Standards as part of its listing.

As a side note UL currently does not have any exit signs listed to Product Category FWBH.

Suitability for this exit sign to be installed in a Hazardous location would be up to the AHJ.

Are the lights that are used to charge this exit sign Listed for the hazardous location?

Chris

Thanks --- Yes ALL the other fixtures including the other exits are listed for Class-Div and Group of environment.
    Did I understand you correctly, for this to be Ok the fixture would need to have been tested under "Product Category FWBH".

I just contacted a second manufacturer of this type of sign and they stated it would fine...regarding their version.
    But you went on to say NO fixtures have passed this test according to UL ?

Here is the text from the second company....
    "The photoluminescent signs aresuitable for just about any location (explosion, clean room, etc) because thereare no electrical components to them at all. For that reason, they are notrequired to carry any specific ratings such as IP, NEMA, Class 2 Div 1.
    The one caveat is that theremust be a constant light source of at least 5 foot candles of light on it atall times for it to maintain it’s charge. That is why these signs have alimited number of applications. "
    Last edited by jumper; 11-29-17 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Fix quote

Sorry....some day I will work out quote properly.

Quote Originally Posted by raider1 View Post

Chris
    They're halfway there, or more, why not go the rest of the way? If you're the only game in town, you can set the price accordingly, at least for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by MyCleveland;1875574Thanks --- Yes ALL the other fixtures including the other exits are listed for Class-Div and Group of environment.
    Did I understand you correctly, for this to be Ok the fixture would need to have been tested under "[B
    Product Category FWBH[/B]".

I just contacted a second manufacturer of this type of sign and they stated it would fine...regarding their version.
    But you went on to say NO fixtures have passed this test according to UL ?

Here is the text from the second company....
    "The photoluminescent signs aresuitable for just about any location (explosion, clean room, etc) because thereare no electrical components to them at all. For that reason, they are notrequired to carry any specific ratings such as IP, NEMA, Class 2 Div 1.
    The one caveat is that theremust be a constant light source of at least 5 foot candles of light on it atall times for it to maintain it’s charge. That is why these signs have alimited number of applications. "
    UL has a Product Category for Self-luminous Exit Signs and Markers for Use in Hazardous Locations, FWBH. With that being said there are no Products that UL has Listed to this Product Category. That could be that no manufacture has decided that they need to have their signs listed to this product category.

A photo luminescent sign does not have any electrical parts so it would be up to the AHJ to determine whether they are suitable for installation in a hazardous location.

Chris

Thanks for your tech support raider1.

I am going to float this back and see what both factories have to say.

My take away is the factories are confident it is safe for the application, but don't want to incur the cost for testing.
    I cannot believe an AHJ would grant approval without a label.