171204-1612 EST

Fishn sparky:

Most that have responded to you want you to go the simulation route. This may be very good for a lot of purposes, but I don't believe that is your desired direction based on the implication of your first post.

A side story that may relate.

When I was a student I also worked part time in a research group that was directly linked to the teaching staff of the EE department. The project I was heading up at a particular time was sponsored by Chrysler and related to how to improve the ignition system in the face of firing fouled plugs as compression ratios were approaching 12 to 1, mid 1950s.

An EE student that was quite smart told his advisor that he was thinking of changing fields because all he was getting was theory and he did not see a connection to the real world. I was asked if this student could work with me and see if he might have a change of mind. For me that was OK and after a portion of a semester the student found there were exciting things to consider when he started to have connection with real engineering work. He went on to continue in EE.

Since you don't have the resources of an oscilloscope it probably also means you are quite limited in what you do have. We need some idea of what resources you have.

A 1000 ft spool of wire is an inductor, a transformer is an inductor. An incandescent bulb is a crude voltmeter or ammeter. So is an LED. I would like to see you have a Variac, Fluke 27 and 87 meters. A Kill-A-Watt EZ is quite inexpensive, about $30 at Home Depot. A range of capacitors and resistors may be a major cost factor. Old working motors can be useful. Ignition system components from junkyards provide much to work with.

I have had my own Tek scopes in the past, since 1961, all presently nonworking. I made my own in 1949 in two days with some WWII surplus components. I think it may still sort of work. In the mid 40s I had my first exposure to an oscilloscope at Ford Engineering with a 3" DuMont. In the late 50s I built a Heathkit scope. While on board the USS Wisconsin in 1951 I had use of a singleshot scope. Then in 1952 at the Brooklyn Naval Shipyard I had my first exposure to a Tek scope. At the U of M I always had Tek scopes to use. Presently I have a Rigol (Chinese) DS2072A. Got this for about $800 new with many optional functions on one of their year end sales, 2 years ago. Its screen size is adequate. There are lower cost ways to get a scope function. But my Rigol scope has a lot of value for the money.