Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Semantics of "Area Classification" and who should determined Areas

I have looked for training focusing on NFPA 497, RP 500, or focusing on NFPA 70 Article 500, but have not found anything.
    Time is of the essence, and I am low on essence. ~ Graham Hill

It may be of some interest that the members of the Technical Committees that edit/author the various Standards that I mentioned earlier in Post #16; i.e., CMP 14 (NEC Arts 500 to 516), NFPA Technical Committee on Electrical Equipment in Chemical Atmospheres (NFPA 497) and API Subcommittee on Electrical Equipment (API RP 500) virtually all have "electrical" backgrounds. The API SOEE exclusively in fact.

I've said many times before Hazardous (Classified) Locations is NOT rocket science. It isn't trivial either; it DOES take some thought but any relatively competent individual can learn it.

NFPA occasionally offers training for Hazardous Locations - every instructor I've known is "electrical".
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

I work in wastewater and water plant design. Most (9/10) times we (Electrical/I&C) are tasked with identifying classification types and areas, showing them on our plans. It impacts electrical/instrumentation installation costs more so then any other, with exception to perhaps HVAC/mechanical having to add ventilation systems. I think for this reason we often lead the discussion on the subject.

We have made a push to make it a design team discussion with mixed results.