Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Semantics of "Area Classification" and who should determined Areas

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    NM
    Posts
    23

    Semantics of "Area Classification" and who should determined Areas

    Curious on opinions of of what area classification drawings should be called for a petrochemical facility :

    Hazardous Area Classification Drawings
    or
    Electrical Area Classification Drawings
    or other titles.

    Curious on other opinions on who should determine the extent of the hazardous area(s).
    Electrical Engineer
    or
    Area Process Engineer

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    15,683
    I don't think there is a specific name for a document that describes the extent of a classified area. I have seen some drawings that are fairly detailed that lay out where there are classified areas in a building. I've also seen a text document that was no more than a few paragraphs that described what areas were classified.

    As for who should do the classification it should be someone who is qualified to do so.
    Bob

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ocala, Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I don't think there is a specific name for a document that describes the extent of a classified area. I have seen some drawings that are fairly detailed that lay out where there are classified areas in a building. I've also seen a text document that was no more than a few paragraphs that described what areas were classified.

    As for who should do the classification it should be someone who is qualified to do so.
    I agree with that answer, but I have experienced confusion with this issue several times in my career. In my opinion, it is ultimately the Architect's responsibility to have it accurately reflected on the plans. Like emergency egress lighting. For which they would bear the responsibility to seek out a person who is intimately knowledgeable in the subject. That, of course, is often, not what happens.


    I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    newburgh,ny
    Posts
    422

    Not the E.E.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrJLH View Post
    Curious on opinions of of what area classification drawings should be called for a petrochemical facility :

    Hazardous Area Classification Drawings
    or
    Electrical Area Classification Drawings
    or other titles.

    Curious on other opinions on who should determine the extent of the hazardous area(s).
    Electrical Engineer
    or
    Area Process Engineer

    Thanks
    As for the naming I would not call them Electrical Area prints because they also reflect on other things such as, non sparking tools, lift trucks, smoking, open flames.....

    The same reason goes for who does the classifications, it is not just electrical.

    Cowboy
    A cowboy may get thrown , but they always get up and walk forward.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Longmont, CO
    Posts
    172
    Ultimately it would be Engineers selecting the area classifications, but unless you are working on new engineered construction it likely won't be the case. In my situation since I was a field service man to today where I'm drawing plans for our products, I'm the one making the selections. I think it's important if we are in the industry to learn to do so with a reasonable level of confidence and accuracy. I don't claim to be perfect, but I think I get it right most of the time.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    15,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    I agree with that answer, but I have experienced confusion with this issue several times in my career. In my opinion, it is ultimately the Architect's responsibility to have it accurately reflected on the plans. Like emergency egress lighting. For which they would bear the responsibility to seek out a person who is intimately knowledgeable in the subject. That, of course, is often, not what happens.
    Ultimately it is the owner's responsibility. He can chose to pay the architect to take on that task, but it is the owner's responsibility.
    Bob

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    15,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1959 View Post
    Ultimately it would be Engineers selecting the area classifications, but unless you are working on new engineered construction it likely won't be the case. In my situation since I was a field service man to today where I'm drawing plans for our products, I'm the one making the selections. I think it's important if we are in the industry to learn to do so with a reasonable level of confidence and accuracy. I don't claim to be perfect, but I think I get it right most of the time.
    I don't know quite how "I'm drawing plans for our products" or "I'm the one making the selection" is meaningful in context of the question the OP posed. Neither comment would seem to have anything to do with determining whether an area should be classified or not, and if so what it should be classified as.
    Bob

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ocala, Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    Ultimately it is the owner's responsibility. He can chose to pay the architect to take on that task, but it is the owner's responsibility.
    In a way, everything is the owner's ultimate responsibility, however,for many things law requires professionals to perform tasks. I think at issue here is the responsibility to do the classifying. It is odd that there doesn't seem to be a clear responsibility of a specific engineering or architectural license this task is assigned to.


    I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    15,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    In a way, everything is the owner's ultimate responsibility, however,for many things law requires professionals to perform tasks. I think at issue here is the responsibility to do the classifying. It is odd that there doesn't seem to be a clear responsibility of a specific engineering or architectural license this task is assigned to.
    why should there be? as long as it gets done why does there need to be a law about it?

    in any case, it seems to vary a lot as to just who performs this task. often the insurance company is the one who determines such things, or at least decides who is acceptable to determine them.
    Bob

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ocala, Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    why should there be? as long as it gets done why does there need to be a law about it?

    in any case, it seems to vary a lot as to just who performs this task. often the insurance company is the one who determines such things, or at least decides who is acceptable to determine them.
    Perhaps law is not the right term. I mean it should be spelled out in the State building code. And the why, is because it is one thing I have seen poorly done over and over, and also have had major trouble getting properly done when necessary. To me, it equates to say, fire alarm design. It is clear in my State who can and can't design a fire alarm system.


    I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •