Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price per sq. foot.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulthrotl View Post
    hm. bathroom, kitchen.... what do we name the third room? bedroom, living room, mosh pit?
    I was thinking, bath, bedroom, and whatever.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    I was thinking, bath, bedroom, and whatever.
    seen two room cabins - bath and whatever.

4000 sq ft home with open design and just three rooms. How much?
    4000 sq ft home with eight rooms?
    Did a 3200 sq ft home recently, no lie, 132 recess cans in the whole house. The ceiling looks like swiss cheese, but in a bad way. Sq Ft of that would have killed me

Quote Originally Posted by CT Tom View Post
    Did a 3200 sq ft home recently, no lie, 132 recess cans in the whole house. The ceiling looks like swiss cheese, but in a bad way. Sq Ft of that would have killed me
    Wow that's a lot for that size house.

Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    While I don't do houses, I have been estimating for a little while. I think that with a little prep and a couple caveats, sq footage can be used for houses. First, fixtures other than can lights in kitchens, living rooms by others, second. incoming service conduit and conductors must be taken off. Third, must account for oddities, far side service, a well, and know whether electric or gas heat, instant water heater, etc.. So you can, say have a fixed price per ton for gas vs. electric heat. Per foot and amperage for an underground service. The number of rooms in the house is not going to change the cost to a significant enough amount that you can't just add a couple hundred dollars.

All that said, I would never square foot a commercial project, and I wouldn't even square foot a house until I had personally done a takeoff on a similar project.

I was a commercial estimator for over 30 years. Every estimate we did was assigned an estimate number and logged into a spreadsheet that had info like: Customer name, bid date, type of construction, (retail, medical, church, etc), and sq/ft.
    After the bid was won or lost, the sq/ft price was logged in, and winning bidder's price was logged in.
    We had great data for sq/ft pricing, but it was ONLY used for budgeting purposes.

When I did resi years ago , I unit priced everything based on REAL assemblies and data from history. Never sq/ft.....ever

4000 sq ft home with open design and just three rooms. How much?
    4000 sq ft home with eight rooms?
    Excuse me, what is 'open design'?

Something like this house with terraces?

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyGareth View Post

Put a roof over, walls around it, and you have the idea.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by DennyGareth View Post

A "one room house" would be about as open of a design as you could get but still be protected from the outdoors. Often there is at least a separate "room" for the bath area.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyEst. View Post
    That's what I'm thinking about using it for just double checking, I am 2 months into estimating and working on building this sq. ft. method, but definitely a work in progress. How long you been in the business and how did you build the repertoire of price per sq. ft. numbers?

Budget and checks only and you have to compare apples to apples. New construction sq. ft. differs from reno. Healthcare/patient care facility differs from a office rene etc. etc.