Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conduit Bodies

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    Many of the moguls also do not meet the requirements of 314.28 and rely on the "smaller dimension" rule for larger conductors.
    Some do, but most don't.
    Dammit! So I guess all we can say is a mogul is basically an LB that might be little larger......
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    Here's an example of an LB which would allow the same fill as a conduit due to the fact that when you remove the cover there is no "opposite wall".

The one pictured is a NEC LB 6X by Appleton
    Carry a big wallet with you when purchasing

Attachment 19153
    In my opinion that needs to meet the 6 x rule just like any other fitting. I assume. based on the part number, that it does meet the 6 x rule and that is why it can have the same fill as the conduit. I don't believe that all of the conduit bodies of that design meet the 6 x rule.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

On the same topic: Just this week I had a 2.5 PVC run with 4X250 conductors. I pulled up a spec sheet for a Cantex LB to check conductor fill and they said "max 3X500MCM" Picked up one, but a different brand, and it was labeled "3X250 MCM." I kinda think that was a typo. Why such a huge disparity? There was tons of room in there and I am pretty sure it wasnt any smaller than the cantex one.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

In my opinion that needs to meet the 6 x rule just like any other fitting. I assume. based on the part number, that it does meet the 6 x rule and that is why it can have the same fill as the conduit. I don't believe that all of the conduit bodies of that design meet the 6 x rule.
    According to the cut sheet they do meet the 6X (8X for C) rule.
    The fact that once the cover is removed there is no "opposing wall" makes pulls a lot easier.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    According to the cut sheet they do meet the 6X (8X for C) rule.
    The fact that once the cover is removed there is no "opposing wall" makes pulls a lot easier.
    But not all of the Reddot ones of the same design meet the 6 X rule. Their documentation shows the 6 x from the outside end of the fitting to the center of the other conduit entry. That does not meet the rule as it is written.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    ...Just this week I had a 2.5 PVC run with 4X250 conductors. I pulled up a spec sheet for a Cantex LB to check conductor fill and they said "max 3X500MCM" Picked up one, but a different brand, and it was labeled "3X250 MCM." I kinda think that was a typo. Why such a huge disparity? ...
    Perhaps it is more expensive to have it officially tested for the listing label, and they chose the cheaper test?

Look up form 8, last stop before a mog., or use gutter/ wire way.