Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hot sticks??

hot sticks??

Is it permissible by NFPA 70E to use wodden sticks with a metal hook for disconnecting overhead buss plugs. If not could you cite the reference please.
    we were told in a class they were not to be used now our safety director is saying that was just a sales pitch to get us to buy fiberglass poles??

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barndog View Post
    ...we were told in a class they were not to be used...
    What class?

I see no reason why not as all you are doing with it is operating the lever to open the contacts and the door is closed. What is the difference between that and walking up to a disconnect switch (fused or not) that is on a wall and operating the handle?. Do you put on rubber gloves to insulate yourself from the handle?

Typically hot sticks (insulated sticks) are used to insulate ones self from an exposed energized part. These are commonly used by utility workers to open fused cutouts, solid blade disconnect switches. They still were their rubber gloves when using the hot sticks.

Is it permissible by NFPA 70E to use wodden sticks with a metal hook for disconnecting overhead buss plugs. If not could you cite the reference please.
    we were told in a class they were not to be used now our safety director is saying that was just a sales pitch to get us to buy fiberglass poles??

thanks
    I believe the theory is that if the wooden pole gets wet it can absorb enough moisture to be conductive above a certain voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
    I see no reason why not as all you are doing with it is operating the lever to open the contacts and the door is closed. What is the difference between that and walking up to a disconnect switch (fused or not) that is on a wall and operating the handle?. Do you put on rubber gloves to insulate yourself from the handle?

Typically hot sticks (insulated sticks) are used to insulate ones self from an exposed energized part. These are commonly used by utility workers to open fused cutouts, solid blade disconnect switches. They still were their rubber gloves when using the hot sticks.
    yes I wear gloves. but also these sticks are out on are shop floor and anyone can and has before used them to shut machines off. also to my point we have some very old busses here where the only way to open buss to open the cover of the buss exposing live parts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    What class?
    mostly class 2.

mostly class 2.
    You said, "we were told in a class not to use them," and I asked, "what class?"

[QUOTE=MAC702;1879536]You said, "we were told in a class not to use them," and I asked, "what class?"[/QUOTE

Sorry it was an Arc Flash training.

Tools used on live equipment must be rated for the voltage involved. NFPA 70E Article 100; Definitions, under "Working On".

Working On (energized electrical conductors or circuit
    parts).
    Intentionally coming in contact with energized electrical
    conductors or circuit parts with the hands, feet, or
    other body parts, with tools, probes, or with test equipment,
    regardless of the personal protective equipment a person is
    wearing. There are two categories of “working on”: Diagnostic
    (testing) is taking readings or measurements of electrical
    equipment with approved test equipment that does not
    require making any physical change to the equipment; repair
    is any physical alteration of electrical equipment (such
    as making or tightening connections, removing or replacing
    components, etc.).
    What's the voltage rating on a wood pole with a hook? Fiberglass poles are tested, listed and consistent. Wood poles MIGHT be or COULD be, but is it?

By the way, have you ever seen lightning strike a dead tree? If wood didn't conduct, how could that happen?
    Bottom line, EVERYTHING is a conductor, some things are just better at it than others.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    Tools used on live equipment must be rated for the voltage involved. NFPA 70E Article 100; Definitions, under "Working On".

What's the voltage rating on a wood pole with a hook? Fiberglass poles are tested, listed and consistent. Wood poles MIGHT be or COULD be, but is it?

By the way, have you ever seen lightning strike a dead tree? If wood didn't conduct, how could that happen?
    Bottom line, EVERYTHING is a conductor, some things are just better at it than others.
    There is a difference between using a hookstick type device for operating a handle that is not a live component itself and is shielded in some way from live components and using a hookstick type device to directly operate live components.

If the voltage involved were only 600 volts or less - there won't be any lightning striking the tree either.