15V switches, receptacles on 20V circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a California general contractor, and I often notice 15 amp-rated switches and duplex receptacles on 20 amp circuits. Is this permitted by NEC or by current California building electric codes, and if so in which cases?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't know the california code but the NEC allows it. If you have a dedicate 20 amp circuit to a single receptacle then you would need a 20 amp device

Besoeker

I am a California general contractor, and I often notice 15 amp-rated switches and duplex receptacles on 20 amp circuits. Is this permitted by NEC or by current California building electric codes, and if so in which cases?

Your topic title is:
15V switches, receptacles on 20V circuit

Then you on to talk about current ratings. Don't confuse Amps and Volts.
Anyway, I'm with Dennis. If you are switching a 20A device you need a 20A switch.
If the devices connected to that 20A circuit are rated at a lower current, you could get by with lower rated switches from a practical POV.

But I'm a Brit and I don't know what your codes permit.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
There are duplex and Single receptacles, A duplex has two receptacles on the device ( single Gang).
You can use a 15 or 20 amp circuit with these.
If however a 20 amp circuit has only one single receptacle ( NOT a duplex) it must be of the 20amp type.
Many times a contractor installs a 20 amp duplex receptacle for the laundry , you really only need a 15a rated device.
Hope that helps.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Just to be clear: a 15A switch is permitted on a circuit protected by a 20A breaker, but only if the _load_ served by that switch is 15A or less. The switch must be rated for the load served.

-Jon

Electric-Light

Don't make any sense out of what I am saying. It is what it is.

Actually kitchen and laundry rooms are generally required to be on 20A circuits.

Given 15A circuits, 20A receptacles are NOT allowed.

Given 20A circuits, 15A receptacles are allowed provided that there are two or more. A duplex is counted as two. 20A receptacles are also allowed. It is still possible to completely load a 20A circuit through a 3-outlet 16 AWG extension cord and overload the extension cord. The primary purpose of - | shaped outlet is to keep appliances that require over 12A continuous from getting plugged into the wall.

Given other higher amp circuits, lower amp receptacles are not allowed. Example, 20A outlets on a 30A circuit even with multiple outlets isn't allowed.

Last edited:

luckylerado

Just to be clear: a 15A switch is permitted on a circuit protected by a 20A breaker, but only if the _load_ served by that switch is 15A or less. The switch must be rated for the load served.

-Jon

This is an over simplified answer. In most cases this may be true but throw a switched receptacle in the mix or an AC/DC rated switch controlling an inductive load, i.e. ceiling fan, and your statement is no longer 100% true.

Electric-Light

This is an over simplified answer. In most cases this may be true but throw a switched receptacle in the mix or an AC/DC rated switch controlling an inductive load, i.e. ceiling fan, and your statement is no longer 100% true.

Residential grade switches are ultra duper light duty and though they're rated for the rated pass-through current, they seldom turn on or interrupt large loads. I think garbage disposal or whole-house vent fan are the only exceptions.

Outlet switch might get loaded with a vacuum or an iron but it's rare that the load is switched with it.

In a commercial space with twenty 2 lamp four foot fixtures, a load of 1.2kVA is switched on, and off, several times a day with the switch.

Cavie

Why are we teaching a GC who doesn't know the difference between amps and volts how to do electric work? Just wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.