what does osha say

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I seem to recall OSHA saying they are not appropriate for hearing protection.

I also seem to recall there was some kind of notice they put out at some point about being distracted and that being potentially a safety issue, but that may have been WRT driving.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I don't believe OSHA takes a hard line stance on use of personal audio devices on the job. However, they do consider the total sound pressure level of both environmental and the audio device no different than occupational noise exposure. Also considered is whether such an audio device masks environmental sounds which indicate a threat to the employee. That said, unless using an approved, volume-limited device, no one but the person using the device is able to make that determination. Ultimately, use of such devices is left to management discretion.

luckylerado

I don't believe OSHA takes a hard line stance on use of personal audio devices on the job. However, they do consider the total sound pressure level of both environmental and the audio device no different than occupational noise exposure. Also considered is whether such an audio device masks environmental sounds which indicate a threat to the employee. That said, unless using an approved, volume-limited device, no one but the person using the device is able to make that determination. Ultimately, use of such devices is left to management discretion.

100% Agree.

I dont know about osha but on my projects they are a big NO. Cant hear the important stuff like "Move outta the way" as the big heavy whatever tips over and glattens you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rsmike

I have a pair of 3M "EAR" headphones which are rated at 26dB noise reduction. They are headphones and ear plugs. I think I paid about $50 for them. I'm not sure what types of official ratings they have but they are amazingly good at blocking out most all sounds.

I only wear them when I'm working alone because they work so well that it's virtually impossible to hear any outside sounds. The volume level on the headphones is severely limited so you cannot 'crank it' up. The music is almost quiet. The downside is the blocking is so good I cannot hear anything else.

RSlater,
RSmike

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
There are OSHA approved earbuds

There are OSHA approved earbuds

I have seen company policy’s that allow OSHA approved earbuds; the company sold them to employees that wanted them. This was in a pick and pack warehouse.
I wore them on a Saturday one time almost got hit by a forklift, Never would again.

sparkyrick

I'm currently on a "no radios" jobsite and was going nuts. So I bought a Bluetooth ear bud for my phone. I can stream music to one ear and still hear whats going on at the jobsite in the other ear. Not perfect, but it works and I don't blast the music either. Just loud enough for me to not lose my mind having no radio, LOL!

jeremysterling

If I had a safety concern, it may be indicated by the strangulation hazard presented by a cable draped around the neck in the proximity of rotating machinery or tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.