Line voltage taps under 600 volts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
well, since it refers to what size overcurrent protection is required, it would appear to be appropriate to put it in 240.
Correct, but the term "tap conductor" only has an official definition when used for application of article 240. Any other use of the word tap, goes to common English language definitions. Sometimes we want to tap an additional outlet to an existing circuit - if we are doing so without changing conductor size - overcurrent protection kind of is not an issue assuming existing circuit was code compliant. Proper NEC terminology is to maybe call that an extension of a circuit instead of a tap but everyone in the trade uses same proper terminology at all times so there should never be any confusion right?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
He made me replace the oversized run, put in to reduce VD, with same #12. Actually it made sense to me; no telling if someday someone else just opened the breaker box and saw #8 on 20 amp breaker and assumed they could replace it with 40 amp; maybe I should have been allowed to make a note there was #12 downstream; but a note could fall off? Maybe he had OCPD too (Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder). Seems only proper way for OP is to put 20a protection devices at the end of #8 run.

Sorry, as rule I don't like to bash inspectors who make simple mistakes but this guy is a dope. Pull out the conductors that are sized to compensate for voltage drop and install smaller ones, where do they find these people?

Forget tags and notes unless you can't sleep at night, neither are required by the NEC in this application and what someone may do in the future is irrelevant. Can I put a 125 amp fuse in a 200 amp disconnect switch or is that prohibited because someone may come by later an install 200 amp fuses? You see where this is going? :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.