Converting 240v single phase to 120/208 3 phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

slice

Hello All, quick question for you. We are converting a church from single phase to 3 phase service. Currently they have a 120/240v single phase service and are going to a 120/208v three phase service. I know that I will need to investigate the loads that are connected 240v presently to make sure they are compatible with 208v. I have read several threads on this topic.

My question has to do with one of the existing panels. The panel is labeled from the manufacturer as being a 120/240v panel. Is it a problem to feed this panel with one leg of the 3 phase service so it would be a 120/208v single phase panel. See attached picture. I don't believe this is a problem but was curious as to what you guys think.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20150608_085354.jpg
    20150608_085354.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 0

kwired

Electron manager
Any system that is a nominal 120 volt or less to the grounded conductor and nominal 240 volt or less line to line is acceptable.

kwired

Electron manager
Where are you going to get a single breaker with enough amps ?

Are you picking on this :"Is it a problem to feed this panel with one leg of the 3 phase service so it would be a 120/208v single phase panel."?

Kind of some conflict within the statement itself, but most of us probably listened to what he meant instead of what was said.

To have 120/208 volts one will need at least two "legs" plus the neutral.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
church = probable kitchen = possible electric range? = ladies who want he stove to still heat enough to boil water = 208 is 25% reduction in heating = you need to install autotransformers on the stove(s) or you WILL hear LOTS of complaints!!

kwired

Electron manager
church = probable kitchen = possible electric range? = ladies who want he stove to still heat enough to boil water = 208 is 25% reduction in heating = you need to install autotransformers on the stove(s) or you WILL hear LOTS of complaints!!
Trend I have seen in church halls (at least for smaller churches) is they don't want a stove/ cooktop/oven - nobody uses them. Plus you get into borderline areas of whether or not you're required exhaust hoods and fire suppression systems. The few that do want to boils some water could get by with the microwave, or even a hot plate. Food is generally prepared offsite anymore and all they need is the ability to keep things warm and a microwave or two for the times something does need a quicker warm up.

Status
Not open for further replies.