Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Vertical 300hp Well Pump Motor

Still the possibility of defective drive may not be ruled out because it is perpetually on start mode without shutting down under load.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamscb View Post
    What is also pretty odd is the status always says "Accelerating" and doesn't change to "Running".

Pump was stuck...VFD acts like it should now. Still being able to run while under pretty much locked rotor conditions is incredible, in my opinion.

Thanks for reporting back!
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Pump was stuck...VFD acts like it should now. Still being able to run while under pretty much locked rotor conditions is incredible, in my opinion.

what was the issue?
    an object jammed in it?
    etc
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingenieur View Post
    what was the issue?
    an object jammed in it?
    etc
    Yes, how?
    Tom
    TBLO

Excellent that you got a fix...........)
    One thing surprises me a bit. With a centrifugal load is the the motor cooling fan is normally shaft driven. With a locked rotor, you would lose that cooling altogether.
    Maybe you didn't run it for very long...
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

The mechanic seemed pretty reluctant to tell me, all I know is that the shaft wouldn't turn by hand. They re-coupled it and were able to turn it by hand then.

And as far as running it when it was stuck, we only ran it for maybe 10 seconds at a time. We knew something was wrong and shut it down immediately. I'm guessing if it was ran for an extended amount of time it would have tripped eventually.
    Last edited by adamscb; 01-10-18 at 09:29 PM.

The mechanic seemed pretty reluctant to tell me, all I know is that the shaft wouldn't turn by hand. They re-coupled it and were able to turn it by hand then.

And as far as running it when it was stuck, we only ran it for maybe 10 seconds at a time. We knew something was wrong and shut it down immediately. I'm guessing if it was ran for an extended amount of time it would have tripped eventually.
    Or cooked...
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    The default setting of that particular drive is for it to attempt to stay running by driving down the frequency and lowering the current limit. If the user did not change that setting (and it sounds probable), that would completely justify what he is seeing. So really, what we DON'T know is why it is a perpetual state of overload. It cannot be that the motor is overloaded from flow, there is none. So it leaves a mechanical problem or a defective drive, and he has run the motor uncoupled from the pump with no issue. I'm going with a mechanical problem here.
    Jraef, thanks for this post, you were spot on with this. For ease of troubleshooting, do you think that this parameter should be changed to "Disabled", so something is forced to trip? I see pro's/con's for either way, either letting it trip out or reducing Hz/current to protect the drive, your thoughts?

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Jraef, thanks for this post, you were spot on with this. For ease of troubleshooting, do you think that this parameter should be changed to "Disabled", so something is forced to trip? In my opinion I think it should be left the way it is to protect the drive, but I'm not our backshift electricians working at 2am.
    How often is this likely to occur?
    Tom
    TBLO