Mutli-wire circuit circuit breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

olc

Thanks for the replies.
So 3 single pole circuit breakers can be used but the handles need to be tied together?

mwm1752

I'm not sure I understand your point. There being more than one way to skin a cat doesn't make the OP's question any less false.

In the field, I've found that not all questions are a black & white answer - Though the OP was specific with the wording description of "need" often time thru discussion the intent meant was "can" as I mentioned. We may disagree with the how an answer is responded to in this thread but in full review we agree that the black/white answer is false. As many did in the thread there was a point of another method to achieve compliance. No one knew if the OP was aware of another option and responded with more information than"false". I use this forum as a learning tool also so, if the OP did not know of another option a false answer may just be telling him he did not need a 3 pole breaker for compliance. Not here to confuse or disrespect you but I am unable to make my point for you to understand.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for the replies.
So 3 single pole circuit breakers can be used but the handles need to be tied together?
By an approved method. Many places that means by devices made specifically for the purpose.

Those handle ties don't make it a two or three pole breaker in situations where a common trip is required either.

norcal

I can only think of two instances where handle ties that would work to together 3 poles , & in those cases they are no longer made as a accessory, Cutler-Hammer type CH* had plastic sandalwood colored handle ties, & ITE had some that fit the EQ, & BQ breakers, only other option is a site cobbled piece of 10 AWG solid copper w/ the insulation used as spacers between the handles of SQ D QO, & QOB breakers, the last one not a good idea IMO.

*CHB would work too.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I can only think of two instances where handle ties that would work to together 3 poles , & in those cases they are no longer made as a accessory, Cutler-Hammer type CH* had plastic sandalwood colored handle ties, & ITE had some that fit the EQ, & BQ breakers, only other option is a site cobbled piece of 10 AWG solid copper w/ the insulation used as spacers between the handles of SQ D QO, & QOB breakers, the last one not a good idea IMO
SQ D has always made handle ties for QO's and Homeline, look up part numbers QO1HT and HOM1HT

Roger

norcal

SQ D has always made handle ties for QO's and Homeline, look up part numbers QO1HT and HOM1HT

Roger

My point was but did not articulate it , was that every manufacturer makes handle ties most or all of them were intended for 2 pole breakers, not 3 pole.

iwire

Staff member
My point was but did not articulate it , was that every manufacturer makes handle ties most or all of them were intended for 2 pole breakers, not 3 pole.

Maybe a local thing but three pole handle ties for common breakers are a shelf item in my area. We use them for furniture feeds.

norcal

Maybe a local thing but three pole handle ties for common breakers are a shelf item in my area. We use them for furniture feeds.

Learn something every day one of the things I like about this place, had never seen them & always thought that was the case so someone could not cobble together 3 single pole breakers for a 240V 3? circuit, although that never stopped anyone determined to do so.

kwired

Electron manager
Learn something every day one of the things I like about this place, had never seen them & always thought that was the case so someone could not cobble together 3 single pole breakers for a 240V 3? circuit, although that never stopped anyone determined to do so.
10 penny nail or a piece of 10 AWG solid makes an effective handle tie - not saying many AHJ's would approve it, but is just as unacceptable as a handle tie if a common trip unit is what is required.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
10 penny nail or a piece of 10 AWG solid makes an effective handle tie - not saying many AHJ's would approve it, but is just as unacceptable as a handle tie if a common trip unit is what is required.
In at least one case, the nail, screw or solid wire, makes a much better handle tie than the device the manufacture makes.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
240.15(B)(3) permits the use of single pole breakers with handle ties for 3 phase line to line loads on a grounded system as long as the line to neutral voltage does not exceed 120 volts. Prior to the 2011 code, the 120 volt line to neutral voltage restriction was not in the section.

Status
Not open for further replies.