User Tag List

Thread: Twisted wire splice on alarm sensors? Is this okay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twisted wire splice on alarm sensors? Is this okay?

A customer of mine had a local alarm co come in and do his sensor rough in recently. All of the splices from the connector pigtails to the home run wiring are just twisted and wrapped with electrical tape. Is this okay? I would expect some kind of mechanical joint, preferably a solder but at minimum a crimp. Am I wrong here? He payed a lot for the work, looks like something my teenager would have done.

Thanks for any insight.

Name:  IMG_2970.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  135.8 KB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the switch is normally closed, you will still get an input change to the monitoring device should the splice fail which indicates something is happening in that circuit.

Probably would be better overall workmanship to use a connecting device or solder but energy level in this circuit is low and simple twisting together like was done will work pretty well if there is no physical strain to pull the connection apart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whackit View Post
    A customer of mine had a local alarm co come in and do his sensor rough in recently. All of the splices from the connector pigtails to the home run wiring are just twisted and wrapped with electrical tape. Is this okay? I would expect some kind of mechanical joint, preferably a solder but at minimum a crimp. Am I wrong here? He payed a lot for the work, looks like something my teenager would have done.

Thanks for any insight.
    I don't know if your code would permit it but, even if it does, I wouldn't do it that way. I'd use an electrical connecting strip. Chocolate blocks we call them.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bulk-Hardwa...terminal+strip
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use B caps or Beanies. they are filled with gel, look like a wire nut, but are crushed, Kliens can be used for this
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom baker View Post
    I use B caps or Beanies. they are filled with gel, look like a wire nut, but are crushed, Kliens can be used for this
    That's why alarm installers are called "Beanie Boys". They are about the only ones who use those things. Whenever you see them you can be sure it was the security guys.

They don't look like a wire nut Tom, more like a Good and Plenty or a cigarette butt. And although they are designed with an insulation piercing inside so that the wires didn't need to be stripped, don't believe it. Always strip and twist first. These were first developed by the phone company for solid wire but they stopped using them because the insulation piercing was very unreliable.

These are great for splicing solid to stranded.

-Hal
    Last edited by hbiss; 12-23-17 at 03:34 PM.