Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED: wire colors?

LED: wire colors?

Friend of mine receives light fixture with yellow/green stripe wire,(earth gnd), then a blue and a brown lead? Being in the industrial construction field mostly, I am not familiar with these colors and am hoping for guidance from the experts on here. Thanks and merry Christmas, Paul.

IEC standard:
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

I agree IEC colors - might want to make sure the thing is listed in the US. If so, probably doesn't matter which conductor connects to what other then the EGC.

I used to maintain equipment/machinery from Europe and in all cases the brown was line (hot) and blue was neutral. Now some it didn't matter if they were reversed but for consistency I kept them wired the same.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

very helpful, thanks!

the members, contributors on this forum make it great, thanks fellas!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    I used to maintain equipment/machinery from Europe and in all cases the brown was line (hot) and blue was neutral. Now some it didn't matter if they were reversed but for consistency I kept them wired the same.
    Keep in mind in European installation it will be 240 volts line (hot) to neutral. A typical 240 volt two wire circuit in the US will be using two ungrounded lines, unless you used a transformer to derive 240 volts that is grounded at one end instead of at the center of the winding.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Keep in mind in European installation it will be 240 volts line (hot) to neutral. A typical 240 volt two wire circuit in the US will be using two ungrounded lines, unless you used a transformer to derive 240 volts that is grounded at one end instead of at the center of the winding.
    No, these machines either were totally 120V line to neutral or a mixture of line-line 208V-240V or line to neutral 120V.

But I am aware of Europe's 240V line to neutral voltage.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    No, these machines either were totally 120V line to neutral or a mixture of line-line 208V-240V or line to neutral 120V.

But I am aware of Europe's 240V line to neutral voltage.
    My point was more that if installed in Europe they would connect the blue to neutral, but typical 208-240 volt install here doesn't utilize the neutral conductor and really is no correct polarity, unless the machine for some reason requires one conductor to be grounded - then you about have to have an isolation transformer to derive 240 with a grounded lead.

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    IEC standard:
    I see this color scheme on a lot of 24V photo eyes and proxes as well. So is the voltage not relevant on the IEC chart?

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    ... unless the machine for some reason requires one conductor to be grounded - then you about have to have an isolation transformer to derive 240 with a grounded lead.
    Would this have to be an isolation xformer? Couldn't this application also be done with an autotransformer?