I'm getting texts from a lead company that I've never heard of

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I don't want to make this post an advertisement, so hopefully I can choose my words carefully.

I've been getting texts saying, "New job in ______. You have the first priority to respond. Free to see detail: (it gives a link) Let me know if it is not for you."

I've texted back a few times with questions like, "Who are you," "Where did you get my number?" etc.

I've gotten some responses from either a person or a highly intelligent chatbot.

Latest one claims they got my number from my listing online.

It's been a decade since I've listed online. All my business is word of mouth and repeat business. And that listing a decade ago was probably my old home number, not my cell phone.

The link is something like "website.com/'job'/'p'/numbers/othernumbers". If I just go to website.com it looks like a lead driver website. My virus protection won't let the page load without me allowing scripts from that website. "numbers" appear to be the specific job. "othernumbers" is always the same, so that's probably my designation.

My last response was, "If you want me to look at a job you can pay me. If I take the job I'll refund your money and give you a percentage of the profit."

Key word: profit

What do you guys think of this?

The word job and the letter p actually appear in the link. The rest is just a general way for me to say what it looks like. PM me and I'll give you the exact link. But only for informational purposes.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I think I've warded them off. They tried to offer me two free leads, but I told them I don't have time to go chasing jobs around the state.

If I was sitting around waiting for work, sure...maybe I'd take a chance driving all the way down to Franklin, MA from where I am. Maybe.

Reminds me of a lead I got from servicemagic when that was a thing. The customer was in Franklin and she was asking if I could come down and wire her kitchen TOMORROW.

I'm thinking, I barely met you and you think I'm going to commit to wiring your kitchen tomorrow with no stipulation as to how much you can afford or when I'll get paid or what even you're doing in the kitchen? Sight unseen? hahaha

I really wonder how it worked out for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.