Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your DMM

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Does licking your fingers before touching count?
    Yes according to old electrician books from the 20s and 30s. Not kidding.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

The Truly classic meter:
    describing the VERY FIRST DIGITAL VOLTMETER: Volta's 'digital' meter (aka fingers)

"Volta as voltmeter",
    1990s IEEE spectrum article.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/sta...number=7891777

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post
    The Truly classic meter:
    describing the VERY FIRST DIGITAL VOLTMETER: Volta's 'digital' meter (aka fingers)
    One of the journeymen I trained with used that ‘digital’ tester purposely. I, only by accident.
    Tom
    TBLO

Just my opinion as a 40+ year power company electrician. If you want to spend the extra money, Fluke would be my choice. You might save a few bucks up front buying a cheaper one, but it may also save your life if you don't....

My story... (PPE was never considered back then). I was sent to test two transformers for voltage due to a high bill complaint. Side by side enclosures. One was 480/277 and one was 4160/2400 secondary. Primary was 12,470/7200 Wye. For no reason except rectal/cranial inversion, I used a Fluke 8024A to test voltages line to ground and line to line. I did the 480 one first, then went to the one next to it and put the meter on line to ground (2400). Meter read zero, but I saw a small spark on the test lead. I ALMOST went line to line (4160) but God had me stop and think first. That's when I realized what I'd done. All it did was blow the fuse in the Fluke. Most other meters would have exploded on the spot. Fluke for me.....
    Last edited by meternerd; 01-01-18 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meternerd View Post
    Just my opinion as a 40+ year power company electrician. If you want to spend the extra money, Fluke would be my choice. You might save a few bucks up front buying a cheaper one, but it may also save your life if you don't....

My story... (PPE was never considered back then). I was sent to test two transformers for voltage due to a high bill complaint. Side by side enclosures. One was 480/277 and one was 4160/2400 secondary. Primary was 12,470/7200 Wye. For no reason except rectal/cranial inversion, I used a Fluke to test voltages line to ground and line to line. I did the 480 one first, then went to the one next to it and put the meter on line to ground (2400). Meter read zero, but I saw a small spark on the test lead. I ALMOST went line to line (4160) but God had me stop and think first. That's when I realized what I'd done. All it did was blow the fuse in the Fluke. Most other meters would have exploded on the spot. Fluke for me.....

My prefered tester at one time was a Greenlee. Loved it. It hung around my neck on all service calls. I knew I was on a corner grounded 480 system when checking for voltage and noticed the extra 1/2” spark from the test probe that had never been there before. Idiot lights had shown good voltage. I don’t know if God was involved but I changed meters and the Fluke showed well over 750 IIRC. No spark at disconnect. No more meter leads looped around the neck for me and no cheap meters. Called the POCO and I met the truck with new transformers on my way back to town.
    Tom
    TBLO

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by meternerd View Post
    Fluke for me.....
    fluke annoys me. they change models every 38 minutes.
    their pricing structure indicates one of the prime ingredients
    in their products must be unobtanium.

and after all is said and done, they are what is in my meter bin.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Fulthrotl View Post
    fluke annoys me. they change models every 38 minutes.
    their pricing structure indicates one of the prime ingredients
    in their products must be unobtanium.

and after all is said and done, they are what is in my meter bin.
    IOW, you are another lemming like most of us when it comes to everyday meters.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    I'll give up my old fluke 12 when they pry my dead fingers off of it, but I won't buy a new fluke. They have become a marketing company that sells meters.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    I'll give up my old fluke 12 when they pry my dead fingers off of it, but I won't buy a new fluke. They have become a marketing company that sells meters.
    Why do I suspect that is the norm for most any of the larger companies now?
    Tom
    TBLO

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    Why do I suspect that is the norm for most any of the larger companies now?
    Nobody cares about the product any more. All the suites in the offices think they need is a recognizable brand name and they start sticking it on anything they can. I can't wait for the new year and a chance to by some Fluke secret decoder glasses.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.