User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Your DMM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsy View Post
    For some reason ~2.5kΩ refers to low impedance, and seems standard for eliminating measurements caused by Capacitive inductance
    Explains why it can't be used on PCBs.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FionaZuppa View Post
    sure, but in auto-range mode there is no "setting" of the dial. it can read only up to its max and down to its min, etc.
    and i do not disagree with you, one needs to be fairly confident about what it is they are about to measure. crazy bizarre accidents do happen, but hopefully we keep those events rare.
    Depends on the task at hand.

Majority of time I am looking for 12-500 volts and usually don't care exact level just need to know if close to whatever is nominal, or performing more of a basic continuity check. Auto range is default setting when you switch it to any measuring setting - ACV, DCV, Ohms...

Most of what I am going to measure there is no need to select a range. When there is a need then I select that range.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fluke 87 3
    RichB N7NEC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Home use:
    Wiggy, Sperry Snap 6, Eico VOM (built it from a kit), Simpson 260
    Mt. Falls, Va.
    "Not a sermon, just a thought"
    A licensed electrically-related individual

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mastech MS2115B failure

Well reading this thread, I have to say I got what I deserved, but I did buy a Mastech MS2115B True RMS clamp meter. Here I am about 6 months later looking at a blank display. This was a meter I got and kept for convenience, I left in my truck should it ever come in handy when I didn't have my tool bag.
    I probably used it about 10 times total (including playing with the new meter) used it on a truck fuel pump and put it away. Brought it out again for whatever reason and nothing but a blank display. Of course I tried new battery.
    I contacted the vendor I bought it from, No reply.
    I contacted Mastech from an address on their webpage, I did receive a response, they directed me to their US branch.
    I contacted Mastech US, No reply.
    Lesson learned (again), does anyone know of service center or working contact number or address?
    Its a shame, I did like the meter, it was around $70. But $70.00 for 10 uses is a bit high.
    Buyer Beware

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Well reading this thread, I have to say I got what I deserved, but I did buy a Mastech MS2115B True RMS clamp meter. Here I am about 6 months later looking at a blank display. This was a meter I got and kept for convenience, I left in my truck should it ever come in handy when I didn't have my tool bag.
    I probably used it about 10 times total (including playing with the new meter) used it on a truck fuel pump and put it away. Brought it out again for whatever reason and nothing but a blank display. Of course I tried new battery.
    I contacted the vendor I bought it from, No reply.
    I contacted Mastech from an address on their webpage, I did receive a response, they directed me to their US branch.
    I contacted Mastech US, No reply.
    Lesson learned (again), does anyone know of service center or working contact number or address?
    Its a shame, I did like the meter, it was around $70. But $70.00 for 10 uses is a bit high.
    Buyer Beware

At $70 it's a throw away.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A word of caution about leaving meters in your vehicles then using them to measure voltage. I was shown a really nasty picture last week where a meter that was always kept in a truck had moisture condensation inside. That caused an arc flash when the user tried to measure voltage. I presume he was on a 480/277 system, but that was not stated, neither was the brand of meter.
    Advise is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SG-1 View Post
    A word of caution about leaving meters in your vehicles then using them to measure voltage. I was shown a really nasty picture last week where a meter that was always kept in a truck had moisture condensation inside. That caused an arc flash when the user tried to measure voltage. I presume he was on a 480/277 system, but that was not stated, neither was the brand of meter.
    This also shows need for PPE while taking measurements in a power system.