Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your DMM

Your DMM

so, i am sure many of you have that $$$$ DMM for work, but do you have a $ DMM for home/hobby use, and if so what DMM make/model/price is it? there's even DMM's made for automotive use too. just curious as i am looking to replace an old sperry unit.

Quote Originally Posted by FionaZuppa View Post
    so, i am sure many of you have that $$$$ DMM for work, but do you have a $ DMM for home/hobby use, and if so what DMM make/model/price is it? there's even DMM's made for automotive use too. just curious as i am looking to replace an old sperry unit.
    I have a Fluke 177 with probes rated and protected for maximum range. I also have a CEN-TEC with 1000Vdc and 750Vac. Cheap* and cheerful but I wouldn't use it for anything other than testing fuses or battery (cell) voltages.

*It was actually a freebie from a supplier on orders over a certain value. It works fine but I'm not overly confident about the safety aspect.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

"Cen-Tec", is that the same as Cen-Tech at Harbor Freight? much of cen-tech is rebranded Mastech stuff, which may also be made by Sinometer.

Ive got an amprobe ACDC-54NAV. It is a higher end meter. What is cool about it is it will measure true power with the clamp and leads.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

so, just curious as i am looking to replace an old sperry unit.
    try to score a scopemeter off ebay, have seen them go for under $100 once in awhile.

Have a fluke 123 for handheld scope, plus a few TEK bench scopes, nothing like a scope to REALLY know what is going on in any circuit. With a FFT feature, you can get all the harmonic data also.

Have 20 or more HF centech meters, pick one up everytime I have a free coupon. Out local HF recently stopped having the 77 cent air couplings as that was what I always bought as the 'any purchase' to get the 'free' meter.
    Surprisingly, every HF meter I've gotten is withing 1/2% of the Fluke meters or TEK scopes for dc or pure sine waves.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Whatever is in my pickup is what I use at home although I think an older Fluke 87 is sitting down there now. Good meters in general, no cheapies or free ones.
    Tom
    TBLO

I have on old Fluke 77 that I keep at home unless there is a special need at work. For everyday use I use a Fluke 324 clamp on style DMM.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

"Cen-Tec", is that the same as Cen-Tech at Harbor Freight? much of cen-tech is rebranded Mastech stuff, which may also be made by Sinometer.
    Sorry. I really don't know. It was a freebie.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Nobody should have just two.

Name:  modified meters.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  179.3 KB
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

Does licking your fingers before touching count?