Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dental office gas

Quote Originally Posted by rbalex View Post
    Oxygen, enriched or otherwise, won’t make nitrous oxide flammable either.
    Will it be hazardous classified?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post

Hazardous to physical health. Not hazardous as the definition affects wiring practice under the NEC.

Good grief!!! If you were an apprentice or student we would tell you to give us your answer and ask you how you arrived at your conclusion. Then, if necessary, we would correct your homework. You’re an engineer, after all the coaxing you’ve already been given, the answer should be obvious.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Good grief!!! If you were an apprentice or student we would tell you to give us your answer and ask you how you arrived at your conclusion. Then, if necessary, we would correct your homework. You’re an engineer, after all the coaxing you’ve already been given, the answer should be obvious.
    I agree.

codequestion, are your questions real or are you trolling us? IMO it's the latter,

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I agree.

codequestion, are your questions real or are you trolling us? IMO it's the latter,

Roger
    I am not chemical engineer. I really dont know in general if nitrous oxide is hazardous or not. Not trolling sorry.

I am not chemical engineer. I really dont know in general if nitrous oxide is hazardous or not. Not trolling sorry.

You were told in posts #2, #4, #5, #6, #8, #9 (your own!) and #10 that nitrous oxide is NOT hazardous in the context of 517. This is more than enough information to draw the proper conclusion as the whether 517.61 A, B, or C applies. Hint: Ignore the first two.

What or more people have told you so far is that nitrous oxide is not flammable nor potentially explosive, and that that is all that the NEC considers in its regulations on hazardous substances. Other hazards, like poisonous gas or toxic compounds do not count as far as the NEC is concerned.
    You persist in repeating the same question, whether or not nitrous is hazardous. That gives the appearance that either you are very dense or that you are trolling.
    That is just how it looks at this point.

If you ask about hazard in a context other than the NEC, then perhaps nitrous is hazardous. But that does not matter since it does not affect your work.

I'm not a chemical engineer either but, if you are going to get into the hazardous (classified) locations field, you best become familiar with NFPA 497 as a minimum.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

I'm not a chemical engineer either but, if you are going to get into the hazardous (classified) locations field, you best become familiar with NFPA 497 as a minimum.
    I am a chemical engineer, and to your point, he'd be better off listening to you than me.

Tempest in a teapot!!

OP is only asking (as reflected in Post 15) if nitrous oxide is hazardous and he says: “ I really don't know in general if nitrous oxide is hazardous or not.”. . .

Of course it is hazardous.

It is one of the nine hazardous agent/materials recognized by EPA, DOT and other regulatory agency.

A discarded wound wrapping is a hazardous waste.

OP did not deserve to be vetted and pilloried by a mob ganging up on him that are only looking from their own perspective.

All gases can be classified as flammable or non-flammable. Either classification that they belong to, doesn't remove them from being hazardous.

Easy on the NEC. . . sometimes it can be a pitfall.