exit lights with batterybackup

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiprima

Are line voltage led exit lights with battery backups and led frog eyes, wired on a devoted circuit, installed in a one room retail store with 3 exits, not part of any emergency system since none exists, required to comply with article 700?
The exit lighting was existing but is not wired ahead of any switches that control the closest lighting to the exits.
My opinion was that since no "system" exists, 700 III (F) (3) does not apply. This would allow the exit lights to be wired the way it is existing, and when "normal" power supply is interrupted the emergency backup lighting takes over.
The local AHJ wants these lights on the closest lighting circuit ahead of the switching means, which article 700 would require, in the event the lighting circuit goes out and not the whole panel supply thus not allowing the backup frog eyes to kick on.

Any opinions or thoughts?

skiprima

so it is your opinion that article 700 does apply? I am aware of the exception and will be applying it but I personally don't believe 700 applies to individual exit lights independent of an emergency system.

Just curious, thanks for your feedback.

electricalist

I probably don't understand the whole intent of of exits with frog eyes.
I believed they were for when the lights in the room the serve go out the occupants could see to get out.
Having said that I have never had an inspector kill power to said room an check, except in restrooms.
I can't count how many exits I've seen exits on circuits that have nothing to do with said room.
My guess is that if only that room goes out you could still see from hopefully a light still on .

retire09

If the exit signs and emergency lighting is required by the building code; then it is an emergency system and 700.12 (F) unit equipment does apply. If they are not required, they can be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.