Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Cost of 'lead-free' (or < 300 ppm) building wire

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    1,444
    OK...thats all I got........Have at it folks and see you down the road or unless someone PM's me...
    *All code responses are based on the 2017 National Electrical Code[NEC]

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,862
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterTheNEC View Post
    OK...thats all I got........Have at it folks and see you down the road or unless someone PM's me...
    Information worth gold, or in this case, copper. Much thanks
    I'm in over my head...

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterTheNEC View Post
    NO. It is about the conductive material. However, it is possible to have lead in the curing component of a vulcanized product but rare.
    All documentation I've been able to find indicates the opposite. The lead in building wire is found in the lead-based heat stabilizers in PVC insulation.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by SteamDonkey View Post
    All documentation I've been able to find indicates the opposite. The lead in building wire is found in the lead-based heat stabilizers in PVC insulation.
    Provide your documentation. The ROHS standards and many others limit the levels of lead and while tracws can be found in many components the levels are well below acceptable values. I can only speak for the company I represent and the ppm is well below 300. The industry concern was driven to be about the conductive media and not the insulation for the overall compliance.

    PS....why wont a mod ban me again please, it was peaceful before bugged again by an old post. How shall I offend the...let me count the ways.
    *All code responses are based on the 2017 National Electrical Code[NEC]

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    1,444
    Nevermind....I ban myself....Bye Bye!
    *All code responses are based on the 2017 National Electrical Code[NEC]

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,862
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterTheNEC View Post
    Nevermind....I ban myself....Bye Bye!
    Honestly, while I profoundly disagree with your views on AFCIs and the code making process, you still have the right to free speech. Meaning that if you are censored, in the end so will I. Just my thoughts on the matter.
    I'm in over my head...

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    13,401
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterTheNEC View Post
    Nevermind....I ban myself....Bye Bye!
    Is that a promise? Can you also ban yourself from making podcasts as well? Much appreciated either way.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterTheNEC View Post
    Provide your documentation. The ROHS standards and many others limit the levels of lead and while tracws can be found in many components the levels are well below acceptable values. I can only speak for the company I represent and the ppm is well below 300. The industry concern was driven to be about the conductive media and not the insulation for the overall compliance.

    PS....why wont a mod ban me again please, it was peaceful before bugged again by an old post. How shall I offend the...let me count the ways.
    From post #8.

    I agree that the lead is not in the wire. This may be outdated but from the Cerrowire website:

    Polyvinyl Chloride Compounds
    Dispose of the THHN insulating material utilizing the correct procedures as required by EPA and DOT due to its Lead and Antimony Trioxide content.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by packersparky View Post
    From post #8.

    I agree that the lead is not in the wire. This may be outdated but from the Cerrowire website:

    Polyvinyl Chloride Compounds
    Dispose of the THHN insulating material utilizing the correct procedures as required by EPA and DOT due to its Lead and Antimony Trioxide content.
    It was never said (that I recall) that there were not traces of lead in the insulation compounds. What was said is that the levels are so far below the ROHS, which is actually 1000 ppm but most manufacturers are well below 300 ppm. Also the largest concern in the industry was less about the insulation (which I am not sure why people would even be worrying about that with todays building wire) and more of the concern was in the MC and AC Armor products and the levels that could be obtained in the conductive medium as well.

    Trace amount is the insulation of Thermoplastic have taken care of itself over the evolution of the building wire industry with EPA and so on involved.

    FYI- Peter d....Bite Me....
    *All code responses are based on the 2017 National Electrical Code[NEC]

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Springfield, MA, USA
    Posts
    3,235
    FWIW there is a long history of lead being added to PVC to stabilize it.
    http://www.pvc.org/en/p/lead-stabilisers

    This is not a trace impurity (as it would be in the copper itself), but an intentional addition.

    It is a real hazard in some situations, eg. vinyl window blinds where sunlight breaks down the surface leaving lead dust. In other situations, not so much. THHN wire? Don't chew on it. Disposal is another issue to consider.

    Really: Don't chew pvc insulation: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00020984.htm ( note 10000-39000 ppm, or 1-3.9%!! lead)

    -Jon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •