Disconnecting grounded conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

abrace

Occupation
Telecommunications Engineering
All,

Please help me settle a disagreement. There is an outbuilding being wired up with a 240V single phase 125A feeder fed off of the main distribution panel in the main building. A SquareD 200A unfused exterior disconnect will be on the outside of the building, but it was only available in a 3PH configuration so that is what was purchased.

Well, it arrived w/o a Neutral terminal block and that apparently has to be ordered separately for over $100. We do have the EGC ground bar however.

I contend that per 404.2(b) we can actually use the unused third pole on the disconnect switch to land the neutral on and we can skip the expensive Neutral terminal block. The neutral will end up being switched, but since the switch throws all 3 poles at the same time, we are covered.

Others here are telling me that this not permitted. So, who is right?

Answer doesn't really matter as we ordered the terminal block anyways, but I just need to know. Pride is on the line! :happyno:

---Aaron

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Roger, the neutral is permitted to be disconnected when it complies with 404.2(B)Ex.

abrace

Occupation
I like the idea of the 3 phase disconnect and the neutral being landed thee.
Is the price diff in a single phase and a 3 phase a lot?

I was told the single phase one was special order, not a normal SquareD item. Looking it up in the catalog the 200A single phase says it is not available and to use the 3PH switch. The 3 phase one was almost $1,000.

---Aaron

templdl

I was told the single phase one was special order, not a normal SquareD item. Looking it up in the catalog the 200A single phase says it is not available and to use the 3PH switch. The 3 phase one was almost $1,000.

---Aaron

If my memory serves me correctly isn't there both general purpose and heavy-duty switches available with gerneral duty being less expensive?

abrace

Occupation
If my memory serves me correctly isn't there both general purpose and heavy-duty switches available with gerneral duty being less expensive?

Believe it or not, this was the general duty one...maybe the 1PH is available in the heavy duty.

I assume based on your response that we got ripped off?

---Aaron
:ashamed:

templdl

Believe it or not, this was the general duty one...maybe the 1PH is available in the heavy duty.

I assume based on your response that we got ripped off?

---Aaron
:ashamed:

You may have gotten screwed but you can only find that out by getting comptive pricing.. Pricing is often a relative thing. Some things may cost more than we p redicted and may be a good deal. Google the item description to see what comes up.
Yes, it may be a matter of getting screwed and not enjoying it. As is often said screw me once shame on you, screw me a second time it's shame on me.

abrace

Occupation
You may have gotten screwed but you can only find that out by getting comptive pricing.. Pricing is often a relative thing. Some things may cost more than we p redicted and may be a good deal. Google the item description to see what comes up.
Yes, it may be a matter of getting screwed and not enjoying it. As is often said screw me once shame on you, screw me a second time it's shame on me.

Found one on Ebay for $280...oh well ;)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Or, as George Bush famously stated on TV:
"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... (long pause) ...er, shame on you again."

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Found one on Ebay for $280...oh well ;)

The only thing that's probably making it a special order is requesting the NF disconnect "With the Neutral kit" installed , same with Eaton Cutler Hammer.
Most all Eaton Cutler hammer disconnects default to 600v Heavy Duty when you select "Non Fused".

The way around this is to separate the items.
For Single Phase, Request pricing on a 2/200/NF 3r Disconnect "Without the Neutral" which is a standard disconnect, and order the Neutral Kit Separate and field install it.
Both of these are standard products.

You'll find the pricing becomes much more reasonable.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.