Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LED fixtures are fusing my relays

[QUOTE=Visualize79;1882991]That's cold

No, that's Pratchett

This topic got me thinking of dimmer switches. A dimmer that can do 600W incandescent or HID can only do 1/4 of that for LED. Yes, a relay is not a dimmer, but iirc on of the reasons they can only do 25% amperage with LED is the inrush current is much greater. If I had to guess your 12A relays are rated that for HID lighting and probably good for 3A with LED; you have 4.5A going thru them, thus the heat and fusing issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Build a cold man a fire and you only warm him for one day. Set him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life.
    Stop, drop, and !!!
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Photocells are the same. If I’m changing wall packs or other lights to LED, I find I have to change the photocell as well to one rated for LED and then the largest I’ve found is 6 amps.
    The standard photocells fail within a few weeks even with a limited load on them.
    I haven't had issues with contractors yet but those tend to be well over sized especially where I went from HPS to LED... The reduction in current tended to be 75% or more.

Quote Originally Posted by dpcarls1598 View Post
    Photocells are the same. If I’m changing wall packs or other lights to LED, I find I have to change the photocell as well to one rated for LED and then the largest I’ve found is 6 amps.
    The standard photocells fail within a few weeks even with a limited load on them.
    I haven't had issues with contractors yet but those tend to be well over sized especially where I went from HPS to LED... The reduction in current tended to be 75% or more.
    I have put several LED lights, including wall packs, on photo cells. The same photo cells that were in use prior to the change and have not had any problems with them. Some are going on two years.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!