Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suspending Conduit vertically for camera pendants

Suspending Conduit vertically for camera pendants

Hello,
    I need some help with what the code says for suspending a camera 18' from a beam with Rigid Conduit. I am attaching my mock-up camera mount but keep in mind the camera will have to suspend 18' down from the beam. I was planning on using the Edge type conduit beam clamp. Please advise.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1995.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	19240Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1996.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	19241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z-79Iufo5oy.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	19242

I would recommend a swivel plate like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The world is round, you will get there no matter what path you take.

Quote Originally Posted by rlundsrud View Post
    I would recommend a swivel plate like this.
    Agree on the swivel plate, particularly if forklifts are in use. Won't eliminate forklift damage but will certainly reduce it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayHair View Post
    Agree on the swivel plate, particularly if forklifts are in use. Won't eliminate forklift damage but will certainly reduce it.
    How does that help? The OP said that the cameras MUST hang down 18 feet. What does putting that swivel on the JB at the end of 18 feet of rigid buy you?

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    How does that help? The OP said that the cameras MUST hang down 18 feet. What does putting that swivel on the JB at the end of 18 feet of rigid buy you?
    Without the swivel, something has to bend, break or otherwise move out of position. With the swivel, it's often just the camera that gets trashed; a quicker repair. At least that was my experience.

It buys you a flex point - 18' feet and a little touch by something and SNAP!
    Other than just hanging by chain or cable I think it is a much better deal . I'd check the max weight of the swivel though. Probably use AL conduit

I think the proposal is to put the swivel at the top end of the 18' of rigid, not the bottom end. The bottom end would buy you a very small amount of displacement; the top end buys you a lot.

Cheers, Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    It buys you a flex point - 18' feet and a little touch by something and SNAP!
    Other than just hanging by chain or cable I think it is a much better deal . I'd check the max weight of the swivel though. Probably use AL conduit
    Quote Originally Posted by wwhitney View Post
    I think the proposal is to put the swivel at the top end of the 18' of rigid, not the bottom end. The bottom end would buy you a very small amount of displacement; the top end buys you a lot.

Cheers, Wayne
    Thanks, that is what I was suggesting also.

Quote Originally Posted by wwhitney View Post
    I think the proposal is to put the swivel at the top end of the 18' of rigid...
    Ditto. This thread was great. I didn't know those existed.

All cameras will be hanging above conveyor belts so nothing will have the ability to hit the pipe. I didn't want to use the swivel plate because that means I will have to re-thread 100 pieces that I cut to length. Has anyone here used the clamp I posted a picture of. Thanks