Wiring for a mini-split a/c system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lee_b

I'm a nubie here so I hope this question isn't out of line.
I've picked up a new but never installed York mini-split a/c unit. It had all the lines and cables with it but not the installation instructions and I haven't been able to find them on-line. This unit appears, to me, to have a 4' x 3 wire pigtail cord factory installed on the indoor unit, my guess, for the "220v ac" power source. It does not have a cord end on it. It also has a 15' x 3 wire cable made up with stakons presumably for the inter-connection between the indoor and outdoor units. As there are no other terminals to connect to besides the single 3 wire block in both components, am I safe to "assume" this is correct. I've installed other mini-splits but they have all had the power source going to the outdoor unit.

Electric-Light

I'm a nubie here so I hope this question isn't out of line.
I've picked up a new but never installed York mini-split a/c unit. It had all the lines and cables with it but not the installation instructions and I haven't been able to find them on-line. This unit appears, to me, to have a 4' x 3 wire pigtail cord factory installed on the indoor unit, my guess, for the "220v ac" power source. It does not have a cord end on it. It also has a 15' x 3 wire cable made up with stakons presumably for the inter-connection between the indoor and outdoor units. As there are no other terminals to connect to besides the single 3 wire block in both components, am I safe to "assume" this is correct. I've installed other mini-splits but they have all had the power source going to the outdoor unit.
:eek:
Wow... nice 1st post on a 2008 account. Mothballed much?
I would suggest you read the manual.

lee_b

:eek:
Wow... nice 1st post on a 2008 account. Mothballed much?
I would suggest you read the manual.

Yeah, I read a lot, so I don't have to ask many questions.
I thought of reading the manual, but, as I noted in my OP... I don't have it, can't find one. I hoped the experts here might be able to help me.

Electric-Light

Yeah, I read a lot, so I don't have to ask many questions.
I thought of reading the manual, but, as I noted in my OP... I don't have it, can't find one. I hoped the experts here might be able to help me.

So, call them and ask them to email you the installation manual. When it comes to equipment specific stuff, this is usually the best answer.

lee_b

So, call them and ask them to email you the installation manual. When it comes to equipment specific stuff, this is usually the best answer.

I know, I just hoped someone had run into this specific installation before. I've been two weeks trying to talk to anyone that would pick up the phone at Johnson Controls. The unit is a York made by them. They can't even find the model number listed in their records. On line the best I could do was an almost identical model number but was in Portuguese. Have you ever tried "Google Translate" on a pdf format. It's more confusing than the Portuguese.
I very much appreciate the kind replies. It's nice to know your there. I read the forum but rarely participate as there are many with great wisdom who do answer questions and I've found, if I read long enough, someone has already asked and received an answer to whatever I wanted to know.
With the research I've already done, the state of mind I'm in and the due point achieved every night at around 85*f, I'm just going to wing it. In and hour I'll know if I will have A/C tonight or new smoking yard art tomorrow. I'll let you know.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Hope you have pulled vacuum on it, etc before powering it up.
You do know that ya need to get the air out first, or that spinny thing that goes chuga -chuga when running will not be able to work right, and the pipe wont be beer can cold afore the motor overheats? .

Somewhat surprised a mod has not closed the thread?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Hope you have pulled vacuum on it, etc before powering it up.
You do know that ya need to get the air out first, or that spinny thing that goes chuga -chuga when running will not be able to work right, and the pipe wont be beer can cold afore the motor overheats? .

Somewhat surprised a mod has not closed the thread?
Fortunately for the DIYer, the latest round of mini-splits come with precharged lines and compressor/evaporator/condenser plumbing. All you need to do is keep the connectors dry as you attach them and maybe make ALL the connections in the right order before tightening any to the point that you puncture the seal discs.
There is no need for special equipment, but there is a great need to do thing right!

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
With the research I've already done, the state of mind I'm in and the due point achieved every night at around 85*f, I'm just going to wing it. In and hour I'll know if I will have A/C tonight or new smoking yard art tomorrow. I'll let you know.
I like your style. Put on the safety glasses and football helmet and go for it.

lee_b

Fortunately for the DIYer, the latest round of mini-splits come with precharged lines and compressor/evaporator/condenser plumbing. All you need to do is keep the connectors dry as you attach them and maybe make ALL the connections in the right order before tightening any to the point that you puncture the seal discs.
There is no need for special equipment, but there is a great need to do thing right!

This is a big 10-4. Also, after opening the liquid line valve, I purged a few shots out the Schrader valve on the suction line side to blow what air might be in the lines, out. Then opening the suction line valve. I saw that recommended by a pro installer during my previous research. Checked for leaks, all good, hooked the electric up as mentioned in my opening post, hit the 240vac, no smoke, pushed the on button...now 1-1/2 hours later the temp in the house has gone from 92*f to 82*f and still going strong. The condensate line is a steady flow as the humidity is now 65% and by 1:00 am will be 82*f and 82% humidity outside. Even my dogs are doin' the Happy Dance.
Thanks again, maybe this will help out someone else picking up a great close out deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.