NEMA raiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't think there's any NEMA rating for PVC connectors. The box or enclosure would have a NEMA rating and the fitting (connector) would have to be a type to match the installation.

What is the context of the question?

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
IMO yes if they entered from the sides or bottom. If entering from the top it might be a good idea to seal the entrance a little better but I don't know if that would even be necessary.

Roger

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Would it be acceptable to enter a NEMA 12 enclosure with a PVC male adapter to keep the same rating
NEMA ratings for enclosures are now UL Types.

There is a bit of a misunderstanding about such things.

For the most part (with some exceptions) for indoor use, the end user gets to select what UL type of enclosure to use.

The issue with closing holes in the enclosure walls only applies if you care about maintaining the integrity of the rating. If you do not do it right (the right ways are listed in UL508a), you may end up with an enclosure that no longer has any type rating.

My guess is that what you are asking about could be done while maintaining the type rating. You would probably have to use gasketed washers to seal the opening. However, you have to be careful and follow the rules in UL508a if it matters to you that the type rating is maintained.

Unless there is some reason it has to be type 12, there is no code issue for an end user not to worry about it and just do what they want.

bphgravity

NEMA ratings for enclosures are now UL Types.

The Enclosure Types identified in Section 110.28, Table 110.28 and UL 50 are derived from NEMA 250. The NEC does not require that ALL enclosures for electrical equipment to be listed, but many still need to have the proper NEMA Type Rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.