Disposal and dish washer gfci

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atxrl1983

Are disposals and dish washers required to be on gfci's now? If so how will that work? Do they make 2ploe gfci breakers? Or will both need their own nuetral and breaker? I know I can't put a gfci behind the dish washer. Any information will help.

iwire

Staff member
Are disposals and dish washers required to be on gfci's now? If so how will that work? Do they make 2ploe gfci breakers? Or will both need their own nuetral and breaker? I know I can't put a gfci behind the dish washer. Any information will help.

You can use a two pole GFCI.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
You can use one GFCI dead front in the kitchen for the DW & GD.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

They will also need to be afci protected

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

I am assuming residential and since the dishwasher req. is new to the 2014 then I also assumed that was the code the OP was under

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection. Arcfault
circuit-interrupter protection shall be provided as required
in 210.12(A) (B), and (C). The arc-fault circuit interrupter
shall be installed in a readily accessible location.
(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and
20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed
in dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining
rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms,
sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas,
or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by any

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Dual purpose breaker takes care of both requirements. Also cuts down a lot of extra goofiness trying to put a deadfront gfci above the countertop, or near the cabinet door and arguing that it's readily accessible as long as it's within 12" of the cabinet door, etc, etc.

I just recently started using them because the difference in price is usually less than the cost of the gfci device.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Dual purpose breaker takes care of both requirements. Also cuts down a lot of extra goofiness trying to put a deadfront gfci above the countertop, or near the cabinet door and arguing that it's readily accessible as long as it's within 12" of the cabinet door, etc, etc.

I just recently started using them because the difference in price is usually less than the cost of the gfci device.

Where did this come from? Local rule?

Atxrl1983

Another question

Another question

Ok a gfci breakers is needed. Is there a different between residential and commercial jobs? Or would both be required to be gfci protected? And if so what about ice machines and coffee makers? All these appliances have water going to them. Is there a difference?

480sparky

Ok a gfci breakers is needed. Is there a different between residential and commercial jobs? Or would both be required to be gfci protected? And if so what about ice machines and coffee makers? All these appliances have water going to them. Is there a difference?

210.8 pretty much sums it all up.

jaylectricity

Occupation
Where did this come from? Local rule?

Honestly, I doubt it. I think it was a response to me having the gfci receptacle in the back of the cabinet nearly behind plumbing pipes. His argument was that it wasn't readily accessible. I didn't agree, because I don't think getting on your hands and knees and moving the soap and a box of trash bags makes something not readily accessible. But I didn't want to fight it and the customer paid me to move it closer to the door.

jaylectricity

Occupation
422.5 ....

It's starting to look like kitchen subpanels on the horizon....

~RJ~

I hope you don't mean having the subpanel IN the kitchen. But yeah, putting a subpanel in to take care of the kitchen would be OK.

But then again, what's the difference in adding a subpanel or just working the circuits into the existing panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.