AfCI and GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

scook56

A 1P20_ AFCI is installed at the MP and connected to SMBC kitchen GFCI receptacle.
Given: an arching faulty appliance is plugged into the GFCI.
Is the circuitry in the GFCI more accurate than the AFCI?
What will trip first?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A 1P20_ AFCI is installed at the MP and connected to SMBC kitchen GFCI receptacle.
Given: an arching faulty appliance is plugged into the GFCI.
Is the circuitry in the GFCI more accurate than the AFCI?
What will trip first?

Afci and GFCI are 2 different animals. If it is arching then I assume the afci will trip not the gfci

bphgravity

Mr. Alwon hit the head on the nail. Each device is protecting the circuit from different potential hazards. Both devices work perfectly well together on the same circuit and in any conceivable configuration. The UL 943 standard for GFCIs has been harmonized with the UL 1699 standard for AFCIs to ensure interoperability is never a problem or concern.

It is very possible for a ground-fault condition to also manifest an arc across the fault, causing both the GFCI and AFCI to respond.

Happy Independence Day!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Square D has an all-in-one AFCI/GFCI breaker. At least this will save the expense of installing separate GFCI receptacles in kitchens.

251561-homeline-dual-function-circuit-breakers

http://www.schneider-electric.us/en/product-range/62275-homeline-dual-function-circuit-breakers/

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Square D has an all-in-one AFCI/GFCI breaker. At least this will save the expense of installing separate GFCI receptacles in kitchens.

251561-homeline-dual-function-circuit-breakers

http://www.schneider-electric.us/en/product-range/62275-homeline-dual-function-circuit-breakers/
Great idea but your customer will have to go down to the basement (or garage oe wherever) to reset whenever it trips. I'd rather have the convenience of a local GFI receptacle. Another inconvenience is when the breaker trips do you know if it tripped on an overload, an AFCI problem or a GFCI problem. At least when you have a local GFCI receptacle you more than likely can eliminate one of the choices. Just my opinion.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Great idea but your customer will have to go down to the basement (or garage oe wherever) to reset whenever it trips. I'd rather have the convenience of a local GFI receptacle. Another inconvenience is when the breaker trips do you know if it tripped on an overload, an AFCI problem or a GFCI problem. At least when you have a local GFCI receptacle you more than likely can eliminate one of the choices. Just my opinion.

Some of the AFCI have diagnostic lites to tell if the trip was from ground fault, arc fault or overload. On you tube, search for Siemens AFCIs

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
The only similarity both GFCI and AFCI functionality shares is recognizing a parallel event.

A series or glowing connection event will not be recognized by either.

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.