Money saving tips for apprentices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony S

There’s a very simple tip, don’t spend money until you know you are going use something.

Some companies have an “approved” tool list along with “approved” test equipment. They will provide the kit.

My first day at a new company after 30 years in the trade I showed up in the workshop with one of my tool chests in a wheelbarrow.
“What’s that?”
“Half my tools.”
“Put them back in the car, there’s an approved kit in the office.”

Now I’m retired, I’m up to my eyeballs in tools and test equipment I’ll never use.

There’s a lad just out of his time on the UK forum I help run. I’m sure he’s waiting for me to pop my clogs so he can get his hands on the stuff. My son doesn’t want it so why not?
He’s started on his own and is picking up work in old buildings where imperial conduit was used. Next time he visits we’ll dig out all my conduit gear both imperial and metric. He’s also learnt not to throw old conduit fittings away, they are useful if you have to alter imperial gear.

We all gather “junk” that’s of no use to us now, it may as well help someone new to the trade.

We had a topic about MICC (Mineral Insulated Copper Clad) cable. I’ve never made one off in my life. One of the youngsters is calling round with some to teach an old dog a new trick.

I went through a phase where I bought tools like they were going out of style. It is crazy how much I spent. Now I wish I could go back and tell young me I wasn't going to need all that stuff. Maybe one day one of my sons or daughter will use it.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
We had a topic about MICC (Mineral Insulated Copper Clad) cable. I’ve never made one off in my life. One of the youngsters is calling round with some to teach an old dog a new trick.

We just call it MI here and use it where fire withstand is critical.

"You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can teach an old dog to teach a new dog old tricks."

MHElectric

How about -

1) quit smoking cigarettes.
2) pack a lunch. EVERYDAY!
3) brew your own coffee in the morning.
4) pick up all the scrap copper on the job sites at the end of each day. Use this money to buy tools, not beer.
5) buy your work clothes from the thrift stores. They're just going to get ruined any way.
6) keep your number of ex-wives to a minimum.

:thumbsup:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I tell people that everything they do now with their fancy fluke meters and what not, I did with a plug in tester and a wiggy. :happyyes: Oh and I thought I was high class when I replaced my wiggy with one that had a continuity tester built in.:lol:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I took most of my tools and test equipment home and put them in a cabinet in the garage.

Most places don't want engineers poking around inside electrical cabinets anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.